Reset computer to factory settings still getting errors, please help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KatieFabert

:confused:I am new here so if this is inn the wrong place sorry, also if I sound dumb, it is because I do not know all the technical words for stuff and my husband is gone for 14mths with the Army and he took care of all of this stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time ;)
My Dell XPS 400 was bought brand new in 2006, and we have had few problems with it until I started working from home and had to install some programs, and then the computer carshed and we had to reset to when it came from factory, just recently it crashed again and I reset to factory settings but it still will not boot, it has an error:
Floppy Diskette Seek Failure, Strike the F1 key to continue, Strike the F2 key to run set up utility.

And then it will do nothing else, unless I press the F2 key, and go into the set up utility, and thats a bunch of confusing stuff to, what should I do? Does anyone have any ideas? If you need more info please ask I am willing to do whats needed to get this fixed, also tried to call Dell and they are really noy helpful and kind of made it worse :(.

Thanks ahead of time for help and ideas, :eek:

Welcome to TSG,
This maybe a long shot but do you have 3 1/2 " floppy drive with a disk in it while booting ?

Many BIOS setups include a line "Bootup Floppy Seek" or the equivalent. This is just telling the machine to look in the 3.5" disk drive for a disk.
Look for this line in the BIOS and turn it off.
You may also find the floppy drive in the boot menu.
Eliminate it there as well.
I agree the BIOS is confusing, but take your time and you'll solve this.
When I was in Vietnam, there were no personal computers, so my wife didn't have to suffer like this:)

KatieFabert

thanks you guys I will look and see if I can disable the BIOS, and to answer your question there is no floppy drive on our computer at all, but thank you very much for the thought right now I am ready to throw it out the window ;) I will try your suggestions though and let you guys know how it went thanks again ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online