1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reset Default Program Icons?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Placeable, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Placeable

Placeable Thread Starter

Hello.

How do you remove the white "icon sheet" from icons? For some reason my .swf (Flash) files don't use their standard icon but rather something Vista setup:

It's a like a white sheet of paper and in the middle there's a small icon of the 'Default' one. How do I reset the icon properties so I can see the default icon only?

I've tried the
    Default Program > Associate a File Type or a Protocol with a Program list but nothing.

I attached an image of the file icon to this post.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. RevisionZero

RevisionZero

Thats the Vista way of showing those icons. You could use either Icon Packager to replace it, or if you know how resource hack that icon.

Its proper the way it is currently though, its just vista had some reworked icons.

3. Placeable

Placeable Thread Starter

It had a different icon before (Vista). I installed Marcomedia Flash 8 while I had the latest Flash, Adobe Flash CS3.

I then uninstalled Flash 8 and all my .fla and .swf files (Flash related) were suddenly turned to unknown file types. So I had to set Adobe Flash CS3 to default program for .fla files and for the .swf files I set the Flash Player as the standard program.

First the .fla files didn't take the regular approach as an Icon, they where very much the same as the one I showed in the image above but rather with the .fla icon in the middle.

However, I manage to fix that with the Default Program panel.

The .swf files, however, remain as they are now.

I've attached an image to this post how the .fla file looks; the .swf files used to look very much like that but with SWF lettering rather than FLA.

Attached Files:

4. RevisionZero

RevisionZero

Alright well, go to your flash file and click Properties. Then go to the Icon Tab, then click Change icon, then browse to Program Files and find where flash player was installed should be the adobe folder, find the .exe that handles or you want to handle that file. Then click it and click ok, now a few icon choices should appear for your icon from the exe and select the proper one.

You can assign any icon you wish, just load the exe with the icons your thinking of and set it.

Hope this helps.

5. Placeable

Placeable Thread Starter

Actually I tried Icon Packager and noticed that program had some nice 'Repair/Restore' tools so I clicked those.

Nothing happend at first though so I tried to replace the icon with Icon Packager and Vista automatically faded to the right icon (y)
    Maybe it just needed some time from the Restore Tools.

I tried what you said just recently and, yup, that would work too. Thanks for the Help!

Final Result Below:

Attached Files:

6. RevisionZero

RevisionZero

Awesome, glad you got it to work.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!