1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Reset Hard drive at reboot

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cdn97, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdn97

cdn97 Thread Starter

Here is what I am trying to do: I have about 30 computers that i want to setup exactly the same. I want the users to be able to use the computers, but if they save anything to the C Drive, it does not get saved when the computer reboots. This way, it will prevent any potential problems with users install software, etc. However, there is a catch. I need to know where users have been surfing on the web. Does anyone know how to do this or know where to get information/software to do such a thing? Any and all information will help. Thanks in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've seen products that reset the machine to a default configuration no matter what has been changed, I just don't recall the name offhand...

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is some software I've used for a couple of customers called Spytech SecurityWorks from www.spytech-web.com.

You can get a lot of information about what is being done on the computers e-mailed to a specific account with whatever frequency you want.

I'm sure there are others but this is just one that had all the features and made sense to me.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I agree with johnwill. I remember reading about a PCI card that you install in the computer that restores the computer on boot. I just can't remember the name of it or who makes it. You might try contacting a company like CDW or Tiger Direct to see if they can help you.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

cdn97,

For your original post, is seems that there are two things being asked for:

1. If they save anything to the C Drive, it does not get saved when the computer reboots

2. However, there is a catch. I need to know where users have been surfing on the web.

Hopefully my previous post answers #2. I'll do some specific research for some solutions for #1.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

7. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

Norton Go Back Professional 4.0 will do this.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice