Reset hard drive help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jenniferjones90210

I'm not really sure what category this would go in so I guessed with hardware. I have a Toshiba Satellite c55-B5101 laptop. A friend of mine deleted some "un needed" files off my computer while using it without my knowledge. I went to use my computer and it would not start up properly so I tried to factory reset it. With that came a myriad of issues. All forums I came to said to wipe the hard drive and start windows over again. They however did not inform me that I would need a recovery disk. I'm not sure what to do from here. The only thing that happens when I turn on my computer is a black screen appears and says " Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press key" . Like I said I'm not really sure what to do from here. I use my computer for work and school almost 24/7 and I don't have money to get it fixed or to buy a new computer. Please help!

So did you wipe the drive as the forum suggested? or was the " Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press key" message already there?

There should be a recovery partition on your laptop which can potentially be accessed by performing the following actions

To restore the original factory software image on your computer follow these steps:
Make sure the computer is turned off ("Shut-down" from the Windows Start menu)
Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in and working.
Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
Click Yes to continue.
When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary."

jenniferjones90210

So did you wipe the drive as the forum suggested? or was the " Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press key" message already there?

There should be a recovery partition on your laptop which can potentially be accessed by performing the following actions

To restore the original factory software image on your computer follow these steps:
Remove any peripherals such an external mouse, keyboard, monitor, USB flash drive etc.
Press and hold down the 0 (zero) key on the keyboard while powering on the computer. Release it when the recovery warning screen appears.
If the recovery process offers a choice of Operating Systems, select the appropriate one for you.
A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is executed all data will be deleted and rewritten.
Click Yes to continue.
When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or

Click Yes to continue.
When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens select "Recovery of Factory Software" or the appropriate option for your needs.
Continue to follow the directions restarting as necessary."

I did wipe the hard drive like directed and then I got the "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key" message. I tried to start up the computer while holding down the '0' key however it only made the "reboot" message repeat down the screen many times.

if you deleted the recovery partition as well then you have no choice but to buy a recovery disk or a copy of windows and reinstall. You should really ask you friend to pay for it seeing as they are the ones that deleted the 'unnecessary' files from you machine.

Speak to Toshiba and see how much a recovery disk would cost.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5101 laptop
Are you sure about that model number?
The C55-B5100 which comes with Windows 8.1 is the closest one that I can find.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"A friend of mine deleted some "un needed" files off my computer while using it without my knowledge"

Among other things, dont let this person use your computer again. I wouldnt, , , ,

-c-

crjdriver

You may not need to purchase a recovery disk or disks. If you have your install key, you can clean install win10 using the win8 key. You download the media creation tool from MS and the version of windows your key corresponds to ie home/pro/32bit/64bit.
During the install, you input your win8 key and you have a legal, activated install of win10.

Note you will not have any of the software that originally came with your system ie office or any other programs that may have come with your laptop.
Do be sure that win10 is a supported operating system AND that there are win10 drivers on the support page for your laptop prior to beginning this task.
Link for the ms media creation tool;
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online