Reset to factory serving to get rid of catalina os

Memartin

Catalina 62 bit prevents many apps working either need uninstall Catalina or reset to factory settings

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the brand name and model name and model number and serial/service tag number of your computer?

Does your computer also have a Windows operating system installed?

-------------------------------------------------

Couriant

James
Typically if software doesn't work, it's due to being incompatible with Catalina (i.e. old software).

There is an internet recovery that will reset to default with the latest OS it can do. Please confirm the machine you have by going to the Apple icon on the top left and then click About This Mac. We will need the model name (i.e iMac late 20xx)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
James:
I'm not familiar with Catalina, so I wasn't aware he has a Mac computer.
I'll leave this with you.
Frank

Memartin

What is the brand name and model name and model number and serial/service tag number of your computer?

Does your computer also have a Windows operating system installed?

iMac no windows late 2013

Memartin

Typically if software doesn't work, it's due to being incompatible with Catalina (i.e. old software).

There is an internet recovery that will reset to default with the latest OS it can do. Please confirm the machine you have by going to the Apple icon on the top left and then click About This Mac. We will need the model name (i.e iMac late 20xx)
iMac 21.5 inch late 2013
iMac no windows late 2013

Couriant

James
OK, I did confirm that your machine can only go to the maximum OS of 10.15, which is Catalina. Catalina was the first macOS to support only 64bit applications so unless you have 64bit versions of your apps that you need, a factory reset will not help. You will need to find 64bit versions of the software you are using or find alternative applications.

As to do a factory reset, you will need to make sure that you have backed up your data on an external storage device or cloud base as the process will delete everything from the drive.

From the off state, hold the Command + Option + R keys and then turn on the computer. Once you hear the sound you should see a globe icon spinning. Once you do, let go off the keys. If you are connected to Ethernet, and have internet access the process will start automatically, otherwise it will prompt you to connect to a wireless network or give you a chance to connect with Ethernet.

Catalina 62 bit prevents many apps working either need uninstall Catalina or reset to factory settings
Apple has a very narrow window in which you can reset your software. Log onto your Apple account. Now look for downloaded programs and see if your last OS Version is listed. If it is, you can download the OS and reinstall it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online