Resetting CMOS?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

UFMEsmiley

I adding memory to my computer but when I tried to boot it up it was running but no visual. I checked the monitor connection and took out the new memory and rebooted, again nothing. I was told to reset the CMOS b/c the memory was incompatible, but I don't know where the jumper is on my motherboard. It is a generic board with a serial number on it, does that help?

I made sure that the memory is seated FULLY in the slot and it sounds like the computer is booting up but then nothing happens.
I also pulled out all the memory and reseated the old memory and nothing.

I have reseated all the cards and checked all the connections but thanks.

Sure you plugged the memory in correctly? Take out the old memory as well and try to reboot.

does it give you any beep? have you make sure that all the connection are in correctly?

you probably nudged the graphic's card, take it out..and put it in firmly..do the same with the memory stick..you should check the type of the motherboard..probably that motherboard is not capable of running that mem speed..if so..see if you can find an upgrade from the maker's website..goodluck

All the ram should be identical. (i.e. either ecc or non-ecc, same speed, ect.)

The clear Cmos jumper is usually labeled as JP1 or maybe JP2 and is right next to the cmos battery. Next to the label JP(X) it will say something like: Pins 1-2 = Normal. Pins 3-4 = Clr CMOS. I don't know if it will make your ram compatible if it is uncompatible but sometimes you do need to clear it to get your bios to recognize ram.

Did you say you found the serial number or the fcc ID? Look for the fcc ID and you can find the manufacture of your mobo HERE Then you can go to their website and find out what ram you need.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.