1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resetting dsl router/finding default gateway ip ?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by awds, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. awds

awds Thread Starter

got this modem from covad. and i was playing around with the web interface. and i set the subnet mask to
    255.255.255.250, and now i cant access the web interface again. it says ip must be contiguous.

ex.
    x.x.139.74
    x.x.139.73 (gateway) this is the ip of the modem but i cant use this ip because of the subnet mask.

i tried resetting the modem, but i don't think it worked. i'm not sure, the wifi turns on and the ssid for the wifi is still the same.

this is my modem
    »www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347wt.html

i tried to set it to obtain the ip automatically. But it wont work. It doesnt work with the current modem i'm using right now also i'm connected via usb cable. But i want to get this dsl router to work so i could use the wifi on it. Can it be a nic prob ? i was able to connect to the router before i f'ed it up through the nic. It just cant obtain a ip automatically.

i tried contacting netopia, but they want to charge $ for tech support.

running on windows xp media edition btw. asus g1 laptop

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy awds...

I'm a bit confused...can you access the web interface now?

Did you press the reset button momentairly to clear it?

3. awds

awds Thread Starter

nope i cant access the dsl router. i pressed the reset button in the back.

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...

Let me see if I got your setup straight...

You are currently connect to a DSL modem via USB supplied by your ISP correct?

It doesn't have wireless, so you went and bought this modem, in the hopes of using it in conjunction with the modem supplied by your ISP correct?

You set the Subnet only to 255.255.255.250 (why did you do this ?) correct?

And now you are trying to connect to the modem and can't while still connected to the modem from the ISP correct?

5. awds

awds Thread Starter

im using a usb modem atm.
    i'm trying to use another modem which is a dslrouter with wifi. The first time i used it i was able to get into the web interface, but then i changed the subnet on it to 255.255.255.250 and now i cant get back into it. So now i cant configure it so i could use the modem instead of my usb one.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

OK...

Let's try this...

According to the manual in the link you provided, the modem has an ip of 192.168.1.254...

So if you haven't disabled DHCP on the modem try, powering down and disconnecting from the usb modem, connect the pc to the new modem and power both up ( modem first then your pc)...

Once the OS loads, cleck on Start - Run type in cmd in the command prompt type in ipconfig /all right click - select all. Open notepad and paste the contents in note pad, and save it...

If you get an IP of 192.168.1.x with a gateway of 192.168.1.254, and a subnet of 255.255.255.250 or 255.255.255.0 try opening the router/modems interface by typing in http://192.168.1.254 and see if you can access it, and make the change to the subnet back to 255.255.255.0...

If not...

Power down reconnect to the usb modem ( may have to power it down as well) open the file you saved the ipconfig info to and copy and paste the contents back here...

7. awds

awds Thread Starter

it doesnt have any value for the ethernet adapter. thats the problem. it cant get a ip. it just ends up being limited connectivity

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the wireless router to factory default settings and start fresh. And this time don't change the mask unless you know what you're doing. :)

9. awds

awds Thread Starter

i did reset, and its not working.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you reset it, which is the same as a restart and almost the same as a power cycle, or did you reset it to factory default settings (by holding the reset button for 10 to 20 seconds or however long your manual says)? If the latter, then it sounds like your router is toast.

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Just a question...

Did you reset it with the power on, or off?

To reset it to the defaults the power has to be on...

12. awds

awds Thread Starter

yes with power on. until the led went red and rebooted. I don't think the router is toast, cause the wifi still starts up with the same ssid i set it.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know what is happening, but a reset to factory default settings should, of course, set the SSID to the default. If you set the SSID to anything else, and it is still that value, then the router is not properly resetting. That may not be toast, but it's not gold either. :(

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice