1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resetting my DHCP Gateway

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Nascent, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nascent

Nascent Thread Starter

Greetings, all. I'm trying to troubleshoot an Internet connection problem on my desktop PC (working from a family member's laptop right now). All I know is that I unplugged the ethernet cable to attempt to set up a wifi station for my younger sister and, upon observing that it wasn't working, re-plugged the cord back into my computer.

Ever since that point I've gotten zero connection, period.

My tech-savvy brother took a look at it, did an ipconfig release and renew, and concluded that the problem lay with something called my 'DHCP Gateway'... which, instead of a string of varied numbers, was reading at straight zeroes. I've done a bit of research trying to solve the problem myself, but I can't even get started and my bro tells me its beyond his realm of experience.

Can some merciful angelic soul here provide me with a step-by-step of how to correct this problem on a Windows 7 OS? I'd be forever in your debt; I can't run my under-construction roleplay forum locked out of the WWW like this. Thank you in advance!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

The DHCP Gateway is probably the router or modem at the other end of the Ethernet connection. Have you tried power cycling it?

If that does not fix the problem, it would help to see the complete IPCONFIG /ALL results (same command screen as used for the IPCONFG RENEW command) for both the computer that can not connect and for one that does. Hopefully you have a USB flash drive that will let you copy and paste the results to a text file for the computer without a working connection.

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    So, if I am understanding this correctly, you have set up a router with a wireless connection. Internet connection comes into the router, one computer connected directly by wire (which doesn't work), and a laptop connected by wireless connection (which does work). Please correct me if I am wrong.

You might want to take a look at the DHCP Client and DNS Client services on your computer. Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll through the list that appears there, and check that both "DHCP Client" and "DNS Client" have started, and that they are set to start automatically.

If you have to change this, double-click those entries to open it's properties. Use the drop-down box next to "Startup type:" and select Automatic (to allow it to start as soon as you log into Windows). Then, underneath "Service Status:" click the Start button. See the attached screenshot to allow you to check.

Attached Files:

4. Nascent

Nascent Thread Starter

If by 'power cycling' you mean turning it off, letting it sit for few minutes, and turning it back on again, I've done that five times already. As for the 'ipconfig / all' results, here's for the computer that's not working:

...and for a computer that's successfully getting wireless from the same source (non-functional computer is a direct ethernet cable connection):

Essentially, yes. Also, I tried to follow your instructions regarding the Administrative Tools... but it wasn't listed in my Control Panel, which worries me. I'm the only user on that computer and I've used things such as the 'Run as Administrator' function successfully before; is there some other way to access Administrative Tools?

EDIT: Correction - I was able to find Administrative Tools. Both clients were marked as 'started' and 'automatic' when I found them. What do I do now?

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Something does not look right in your IPCONFIG reports.

You say the second listing is for a computer that can connect to the Internet via wireless. However, there does not seem to be any wireless networking hardware listed in the report. Also, the Physical Address (MAC address) of the wired Ethernet hardware is listed as 00-1B-B9-CA-C1-B5. This is identical to the Physical Address in the report for the computer you say can not connect. Unless someone has gone out of their way to change the addresses from their factory default settings, they should be different.

6. VFRGirl

VFRGirl

I'm having a similar problem. I am trying to install a cd for my wireless adapter and it says The requested operation requires elevation. Yet it is working with my sprint hotspot without installing the cd.

7. Nascent

Nascent Thread Starter

Well, I don't honestly know what to tell you. Does it make any difference that the functional computer I listed is a laptop? Probably not, but I figured I'd mention it. And I can assure you that it is connected wirelessly -- that's what I'm using to write this post, and there is no ethernet or other type of cable connected to it. As for the nonfunctional desktop PC, what does that similarity mean? Which computer's ethernet hardware are you referring to, and how do I go about changing the address?

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I must have been scrolling a bit too fast between listings the first time. I now see the settings are different. I need a bit more time to review the information.

Sorry about that.

9. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Looking at the results, there is a definite difference between the two IPCONFIG tables that you provided.

To understand what's happening, I will give you a bit of background info (I may waffle and ramble here, but it's worth the read).

The idea of DHCP is that it assigns an IP address to allow your computer to communicate between other computers on the network, and on the Internet. This is provided by a DHCP gateway or server (your router in this case). The DHCP server has a list of available and usable IP addresses which, when you connect your computer to your router, assigns one of those listed addresses and then flags it, since no two IP addresses can be the same on a given network.

The other half of this story is to do with subnets. The size of a network is defined by its subnet mask, which in home networks can safely be limited to a 255.255.255.0 subnet. What this means is (in your case), your network is defined by and restricted to a 192.168.2.X network (where X is a value between 1 and 254, 0 and 255 are reserved for network operations). I have highlighted below the important details from your IPCONFIG table:

Now, in your case, your non-working computer seems to be having trouble connecting to the DHCP server and so, for whatever reason, it is pulling an IP address and subnet out of thin air:

Neither of these is actually corresponding to your network, which is why the computer is not actually connecting to the network.

A quick workaround is to basically "force feed" your computer an IP address. Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre. On the left, click on "Change adapter settings", and then select your network adapter (the one which is connected). Double-click on it, and then click the "Properties" button. On the list that appears, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then click "Properties".

Now, on this window that appears, click on "Use the following IP address", and type the following:

IP address: 192.168.2.2 (actually the last number can be any number between 2 and 254, except for 8 which is used by the other computer)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 192.168.2.1

Apply these settings, and you should be good to go. Let us know if you have any troubles.

PS this is not a definite fix, nor does it address the problem that you are having. But at least it should get you up and running again.

PPS sorry about my earlier instructions (the whole Administrative Tools bit). I forget that I have things set up differently here.

10. Nascent

Nascent Thread Starter

No luck just yet techkid, but lemme take a minute to thank you for doing so much on my behalf. I followed your instructions and noticed that there's also two more blank fields: 'Preferred DNS' and 'Alternate DNS'. Do I need to put anything into those two areas?

And cwwozniak, no need to apologize. I'm extremely grateful to be getting any tech support -- you guys are quite literally coming to my rescue here, and rescuers need not apologize if the path to safety (or victory, in this case) has a few bumps in it. So thank you, all of you, for doing whatever you're able and willing to help me. In my book, you're all awesome.

11. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

In the command line window, enter the command

route print

and paste the result here.

This will tell what your computer thinks is the active interface for connecting to the internet.

I presume that the example you posted from the working computer is on the same Belkin router? If so, then the gateway is 192.168.2.1, which is the address of the router as seen by computers on the LAN.

There should be a line that starts like this:

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1

There will be more information on that line but for the moment it doesn't matter. I'm betting that line doesn't exist because you don't have a valid IP address (the 169 address you are given says that the system can't find a network connection).

The route command will also report on interfaces it finds. They will look like this:

Interface List

1 Software loopback Interface 1
    11 Intel high rate ethernet connector
    2 Intel high rate wireless connector

The numbers will vary considerably from installation to installation and from version to version of Windows. It might be labeled 0x1, 0x2, 0x3 or it might be labeled something like I have labeled it here in this example. Also, the text will vary considerably. It doesn't matter. This is telling you what interfaces the computer recognizes as existing. Loopback is an internal interface; ignore it. You are interested in identifying the interface you are trying to activate - either the wireless one or the wired one.

If the line in route print does not exist, try entering this line:

route add 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.2.1 metric 1 IF 2

In that line, I specified IF 2, which is interface 2, which in the example I've given would be a wireless interface. You would specify IF X, where X is the number of the interface you are trying to activate, as specified in the interface list that you got from the route print command.

Windows should have automatically activated the right interface, but evidently something went wrong. If you manually activate the right interface, you'll be up and running and presumably the fault that causes the failure to activate an interface will be corrected. Or maybe not, but this WILL get you going.

12. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Oh, I should have asked this before. Start with the basics.

Is the cable plugged in correctly? Do you have link lights both on the computer AND on the router?

13. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David

14. Nascent

Nascent Thread Starter

Here's the results from the 'route print' command:

Does that tell you anything?

jiml8, you can rest assured knowing I do have some common-sense knowledge in regards to computers and Internet connections. I did indeed make sure everything was plugged in properly before posting here, but thank you for being through.

techkid, I'm sorry to say but I'm still getting nothing.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What non-Windows firewall or security suite do, or did, you have on the machine?

Please show another ipconfig /all after the following repairs ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!