1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Residence Internet Trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Soapy_Illusions, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Soapy_Illusions

Soapy_Illusions Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Well I moved into residence a few weeks ago, and ever since Internet has been just a complete gong show. And since I know more about computers than anyone here they have decided to let me fix it, but I am stumped.

First of all, internet here is at a snail pace, I can't watch youtube videos, unless I leave them open for over three hours. So when I plug myself into the router and check my internet status it says the speed is 100.0 Mbps. I understand we split the internet between 24 people, but still, could it really slow it down this much, is it reasonable or is something wrong.

Second of all our res has two routers, both of which show up has USR9108, but one is secured with a WEP and one isn't. I personally think both of them having the same SSID (is that right) would definitely mess things up, especially since one is secured and one is not.

Another thing is most of the time when I connect to these networks I get the good old, Local Access Only, and no Internet. Most of the time I have to disconnect and reconnect for about half an hour before I can get online, and when I do it's so slow.

Even when I do plug myself straight into the router it's really slow, and both routers connect us to the same internet connection, though sometimes it only works for me on one of them. (Which is strange)

And finally these routers look real crappy, I'm not sure if that would slow down the internet a lot, but these are crummy routers that I only get two out of five bars when im like 25 feet away from them.

So what can I suggest to the school to offer us all faster internet in residence, and what kinds of fixes are needed. A better internet plan (better than 100.0 Mbps... really?) or better routers (would that make things faster or just offer better signal) or something else??

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I find it extremely difficult to believe that you have 100 Mbps internet access.

Even if the internet access is pretty good, say 10Mbps, that's not much after dividing by 24. What is it actually supposed to be?

Also, more than about 5 users on a wireless network is going to result in a lot of congestion.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

:confused::confused: You're splitting a standard broadband / wireless network signal among 24 people. I'm surprised anyone can get anywhere on the 'Net.

No, your Internet connection speed is not 100Mbps. That's the theoretical maximum internal network speed, the maximum local area network bandwidth. That's not the speed of Internet traffic.

The problem is clearly too many users on one connection. Talk to your school's technology department, if they're providing the connection, to discuss reasonable alternatives and better connectivity.

4. Soapy_Illusions

Well I am at a really small school and they don't know any other alternatives... what can i suggest

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Buy more bandwidth from the provider. That will cost everyone more money. Also buy several wireless access points, and a small-business quality switch.

6. Soapy_Illusions

Thanks alot for all the help, im just curious so I can properly explain everything to them
    1. By several access points, u mean different routers that we can log on to
    2. I was reading up on the switches, and the school itself is 74 students, would a 275$ switch be the size your talking about
    3. And finally does it mess up the system, right now, when we have two different router with the same name but one is password protected and the other isn't?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. Wireless access points. Since a wireless router is often less expensive than a comparable wireless access point, using a router is fine.

2. Beyond my knowledge.

3. The channel numbers they are using should differ by at least 5 to avoid possible interference issues (e.g., in North America use two of channels 1, 6 and 11). Having the SSIDs the same but the security different will, at best, cause confusion. I can't say that it is a definite problem, but I would make the security the same or use different names.

8. Soapy_Illusions

If I was to buy my own router and stick it in my room, and plug it into the wall where the signal is coming from (the phone jack) would that boost my speed at all, especially if just me and my two roommates were the only ones to use it?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you're talking about a phone jack you'd need more than a router, and whether you could do anything would depend on your phone service (through the school or directly from the phone company).

Or, are you taking about an ethernet jack?

10. Soapy_Illusions

sorry an Ethernet jack.. my bad... so what do you think?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think you should review posts # 2 and 3. :) Without knowing more specifics such as the bandwidth you are all sharing and how many are connecting wireless and the topology of the network I don't think we can make any more guesses.

Connect one of your computers to the ethernet. Check the bandwidth you get with something like Speakeasy. Then divide that by three. That's the average bandwidth the three of you will each get using a router.

12. avisitor

avisitor

You want to provide a model number on that switch. Chances are it can't, but maybe. If it's only for 24 people, you might get away with SOHO stuff. This might be able to do it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gle-_-Network+-+Switches-_-Linksys-_-33124053

You get two GigE ports that you can use to uplink to a higher speed connection/router. Something like this would allow you to bring in two WAN connections: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833120007

You probably want to get some sort of business class internet. Perhaps Business Ethernet ($1295/mo/line at 10x10Mbps for 99.999% reliability, or if that's not so important, and it probably isn't and you'd like more speed for your money) or ADSL2 at up to 15mbps/line for about $300/line (both from Speakeasy) or, if it's available in your area, the most bang for your buck will come from VZ FiOS which can offer you 50x20Mbps.

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It sounds like the "school" needs to retain the services of a professional to setup and configure the network.

14. avisitor

avisitor

Agreed.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice