Residual Outlook 2000 files after upgrade to Outlook 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jdub

Hi,
It is a small but annoying problem. I upgrade my Office 2000 program suite to Office 2003 professional. I selected the upgrade option on the installation CD. I first selected to upgrade the regular Office software (Words, Excel, Outlook, Access,etc). After this first installation, I noticed that I had 2 Outlook icons in my start programs: the Outlook 2000 icon and the Outlook 2003 icon. I then installed Frontpage 2003 and the Outlook 2000 Icon was replaced by an anonymous .exe program icon. When I clicked on this icon, I got a message saying that this icon only works with an installed application. So I thought it was only a residual icon and I deleted it. Where is the bug?
Well, next to my user logon on Window XP, I get a message that I have 1 unread e-mail. When I open Outlook 2003, there are no unread e-mails. I tried to import e-mails from other applications and I got an e-mail that had been received on Outlook 2000 (A welcome to Outlook 2000 Version 6 message). The problem is that this message keeps reappearing from time to time and I always get this message saying that I have 1 unread e-mail which I cannot see on Outlook 2003. I know I still have some Outlook 2000 files on my C drive but I cannot delete them because the system then tells me that the files cannot be deleted because they are used by an application.

Questions:
1-How can I remove completely the Outlook 2000 Version 6 from my system (It is not listed in the Control Panel add/remove program list)?
2-If not removing the Outlook 2000 files, is there a way to make them inactive or to set Outlook 2003 such that it receives automatically all e-mails from the other unused e-mail systems? (I also have Outlook Express but I do not use it, and it does not seem to cause any problem so far)

jdub

Thanks Kimmer13. I will keep a copy of the referenced web site in case this becomes the only way. However, I am concerned that this will not stop my "ghost" application from receiving "invisible e-mails" that will slowly pile-up in my system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online