1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resizing a Win XP partition-startup prob.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kylem15, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kylem15

kylem15 Thread Starter

Here's my situation:

I have win XP installed on a 6 gig hard drive. I want to create two partitions on a new 60 gig HD. Install Windows 98 on the first and then use DriveImage 5.0 to copy the contents of my previous HD to the second partition, and then resize that partition using PartionMagic.

Let me now say that I have spent several hours trying different things (half knowing what I was doing, luckily I know enough to leave everything in a repairable state ) to no avail, and am growing very tired and frusterated. So just bear with me and read a little more and you will have done enough to secure your way into heaven.

The first thing I tried was very stupid. I installed windows 98 to the first lpartition. Installed XP on the second partition- just to change the boot sector so I could select XP once it was on the next partition ( i didn't know how to repair this manually with the repair function on the XP installation CD at the time- I kinda know now after experimenting ). Then I used DriveImage to copy my old Drive over the XP partition. I believe I had to delete the XP partition first, then resize the partition once it was copied over ( whole lot of unallocated space ). Needless to say, XP did not boot correctly.

If you have not fallen asleep, here is where I am at now. Having grown very frusterated, I decided to just delete all partitions off of my new drive copy the old drive over and then resize it to the full size of the drive, and just forgetting about Windows 98. Well, for some reason, Partition Magic (mind you I am using the boot disc version, because 6.0 isn't compatible with XP ) Wouldn't let me resize the partition over around 30 gigs, so I just created a new one in the extra space for good measure. Now XP boots fine, but hangs on the log on screen with no users being shown to select. I'm going to try to run scan disk on it to see if it fixes anything, if not I'm at my whits end.

Tell me how to fix this problem and I will be content, but if you wish to give a detailed explanation of how to achieve what I initially wanted ( in first paragraph ) with the software I have - DriveImage 5.0 and PartitionMagic 6.0- I will be forever in your debt.

2. kylem15

kylem15 Thread Starter

Don't bother to reply. I have since done a fresh install of both OS's. Thanks for all the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!