1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resizing HDD partition-computer shutdown-help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Computernoob64, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Computernoob64

Computernoob64 Thread Starter

I have a pretty big that I need some help with.

I was installing linux on to a External Hard Drive and you can choose where to install it to. I accedently chose my brothers HDD-(The main one). It stated to resize the main partition on my brothers computer. I freaked out and shutdown the computer. I rebooted and tried to run windows off my brothers computer. It won't load windows. But, when I load windows from my hard drive and then go to my computer. I can see his hard drive and all the files inside of it. So I know his hard drive wasn't wiped or anything it just some how the computer can't read windows.

I hope you guys can help. Thanks.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do you have the XP disk for your brothers PC?

3. Computernoob64

yeah I do. Should I go to repair windows?

4. Megabite

Megabite

You could try getting into the recovery console and try typing fixboot....and fixmbr

or you can do a repair install....but you will have to install Windows updates again

5. Computernoob64

alright, but will it delete all his files on the hard drive?

6. Megabite

Megabite

No.....but you should always back up first

7. Computernoob64

alright. last question

I was installing LINUX on my external hard drive as I said. After finishing installing it. Some of my logical drivers were deleted. Instead of there being stuff like homework 2gb or projects 3gb. Those were all deleted. I had like 4 or 5 and 4 of the 5 were deleted. The main system is perfectly fine though.

In its place there is just a bunch of free space. It there a tool that can search through my whole hard drive and try to recover the data?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922259

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice