1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resizing images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Coastal, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

I printed out instructions (Irfanview instructions) for resizing images and I was able to resize from 2.92 mb to 1.71 mb but It must not be enough to upload to photos for the photo forum. I am using photos taken from Olympus Stylus 7030 14 megapixels.
    Suggestions or advice welcomed to solve my dilemma. TIA, Coastal:confused:

2. wowzer

wowzer

What did you set the compression at?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like you are using bmp's. Convert to jpg. They are still excellent quality and much smaller.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
    Try resizing to 800 x 600 .. (this will set the pixel width to 800) ..
    Then save as a jpg (a new file name) .. With a compression quality of 80 > 90.
    Do NOT edit/change the original Photo.

If you resize the overall pixel dimensions to one/half ... The file size will be about 1/4 the size of the original .. (the Square of the ratio)

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      159.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

wowzer:
    I have it 200x200 and 800 pixels
    These are the instructions I tried to follow. The picture I am trying to resize is about 3 mb. 14 megapixel.

Attached Files:

6. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

Elvandil:
    Wouldn't a photo image be in jpeg already? Is bitmap for graphics? I'm just trying to follow these instructions that I just posted.
    Maybe they were written for a lower megapixel? I can resize in paint, but it is individually fotos and not a batch. I hope to be able to do as the Irfanview suggests. Appreciate the tips/advice/suggestions.
    Coastal

7. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

Noyb: I viewed your graphic and the Irfanview does not look like those in the picture. Like your cat. :)

8. wowzer

wowzer

Can you post a screenshot of what the Irfaview resize box looks like.

I think you're making this way harder than need be. :)

9. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

If you care to give FastStone Image viewer a shot, I can guide you through that, it easily converts by the batch and has a conversion preview button that will show you what the resulting photo will look like (so you can tell if the quality is still acceptable) and how much space it will occupy in its new size so you can play with dimensions and format quality until you get something very close to the size you want before you actually apply the conversions.
    You can download just the photo resizer component which is what you're after if you don't want the whole viewer.

10. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

fairnooks:
    I down loaded the photo resizer. That is all I need. Thank U for guidance. Coastal

11. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

wowzer, U R right probably so. But I have had problems trying to use resize programs.:( I downloaded the one Fairnooks suggested.
    I can do the PAINT resize, but it only does one at a time. Thank U for trying to help. Coastal.

12. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

Fairnooks:

I believe I did it.

13. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

When I tried to upload the file it gave me an error no file uploaded.

14. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Ok, reference the first image for the guide to fun and painless re-sizing (hopefully).

Once you have the images selected that you want to resize, they appear in the little window on the right where the number 1 is. From that point on you can ignore the entire left two thirds of the window.
    Where the number 2 is is where you set the file format and the compression of the new resized photos. Start with jpg and 90% quality.
    In the number 3 option you can uncheck Output folder IF and only IF you have already copied the photos to a separate folder. If they are the originals and still in the original folder, do NOT uncheck Output folder; specify a output folder for the resized images.
    Number 4 is where you set the actual resize size and there are 3 different methods for you to choose from (see second image). To start you probably should pick In Pixels and something in the 800x600 to 1200x900 range.
    The little button by number 5 is where you get to preview any of the input list files and see what your results are going to be. If the size of the photo is still too large, go back and select a smaller size or decrease the quality setting in 5% intervals.
    Finally, when satisfied with what the size and quality of the photos are going to be, click on the Convert button (6) and make it so.

Attached Files:

15. Coastal

Coastal Thread Starter

Fairnooks:
    I tried following your instructions, but after I did all the steps I received the message>>>to open this file, windows needs to know what program you want to open it.........................I selected to let the web find program, but they want to download
    a program...???

I made a destination folder via program files>desktop>FotoResized

What am I doing wrong? They are still in my original folder at 2 to 3 mb. Thank U for trying to help. Coastal

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032186

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice