1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resizing my Partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eighty, Oct 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eighty

eighty Thread Starter

Hello out there..
    I need to resize my C: drive to allocate space for a new partition. Does anyone know how to do this. i have a 60gb hard drive and it is all on one drive I would like to use some of that space for a backup D: drive.
    Thanks

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Although some third party software may lay claim to be able to do this, I personally believe you cannot create a partition without losing the data in C:. Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management to check if there's any unallocated space on the drive and then it will be possible to ask XP to partition that space but if there is none, you'll be better off buying another disk unless you really want to format the whole thing and reinstall everything.

3. bobol

bobol

4. eighty

eighty Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt replys. If my options are a program or second HD I think I would rather the HD. It would be more useful. However, if formatting is also an option Im not opposed to that. Although I dont have an OEM version of windows only some upgrade disks and quick restore disks from Compaq. Can I replace my core system with these? Maybe someone could point me in the right direction for info. Thanks your all so very helpful.

5. bobol

bobol

bump;
    Not sure myself,-i'd go with the backup HD then rather than format. But if you are spending money for a backup HD, instead really I'd go with PM8, especially since it has a specific 'Backup Partition' function included too.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!