1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resizing Win7-64 and XP-32 partitions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lewist57, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lewist57

lewist57 Thread Starter

I have a dual boot machine with XP32 in the first partition, some free space, then Win7-64 bit in the third partition. Last year I tried a partition program to merge the second partition (unallocated space) with the third partition (Win7-64), but it just screwed up the Win7 partition (fortunately I had done a complete image backup). Can anyone advise of a partition program that will allow me to merge the second unallocated partition with the third Win7 partition without screwing it up? Thanks.

If you are unfamiliar with dual boot Windows machines you need to know the following:
    1) When installing two versions of Windows, you are forced to install the newer version behind the older version. Hence, my Win7 partition comes after my WinXP partition.
    2) If you have unallocated space behind a Win7 partition, you can easily merge it. But when the unllocated space partition is in front (like mine), it would appear that you can not (easily) merge the unallocated space into the Win7 partition.

[ WinXP - 32 ] [ Unallocated ] [ Win7 - 64 ]

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I'm guessing you have tried to extend the volume in disk management within windows? I remember once when I tried merging the unallocated space with another partition, but was unable to and I'm pretty sure it was because the space was in front of the partition, as you have already indicated. There was a program I used to get around this, but it has been so long, I'll have to look through my computer and see if I can find it. Unless disk management solves your problem, but I don't think it will because of where the unallocated space is located, as you have stated.

3. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Alright, so I have found the software that I did it with. Just to make sure, I went through the process and it worked. The software is called EaseUS Partition Master and it is free. Here is the link.
    http://easeus-partition-master-home-edition.en.softonic.com/
    Make sure not to install the unwanted software like the PC Booster or changing your homepage and crap (unless you want to). What I did was once the program was open, go to partition manager on the home screen. Click the drive you want to add the unallocated space to and at the top click resize/move. What you do here is just make the size of the partition bigger by moving the little bar thing at the top or increasing the partition size. This screen isn't the most user friendly and can be a little confusing. After that, you can close out of the program and it should say you have one operation pending. You click yes that you want to apply the change now and it will restart your computer. After your computer restarts, the program will apply the changes within its own little screen before the computer boots back into windows. Then, after it is done, it will restart. For some reason, it brings up another screen before reaching windows saying that the operation was successfully completed and then restarts again. After this, it will boot into windows and you should be all good now.

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

.... in case you haven't already done so - don't forget to backup all your important docs, pics, vids etc to external media before you start (just in case :eek: )

Richard.

5. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Ha. Thanks 1002richards. I never do, that's just me, but I should have definitely included that.

6. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

I rate acronis partition manager. I've always used that and it's never screwed up anything. It isn't free though.

I've used Easeus for a USB drive and it seemed okay. That one is free but can't (and wouldn't like to) vouch for it over my entire drive of data.

7. raybro

raybro

I've used Easeus Partition Master (Free version) for partition work on both my XP and Win 8 laptops (with UEFI and GPT partitions) without any problem whatsoever. Even recovered a partition I deleted by accident :eek: with the built in Partition Recovery. Merging, extending, shrinking... all work just as advertised.

Having said that... ALWAYS back up your drive before doing any kind of partition work.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice