1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resloved) "Teefer" Is this a virus? Then my PC is infected.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by AbvAvgUser, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser Thread Starter

My PC Configuration:
    P III 550 MHz, Win98SE, 128 MB RAM, 20GB HD, on board sound and display.

I have had a problem sometimes back of net connection bandwidth. My dial-up adapter used to connect but after connection, there was virtually no bandwidth. A few hundred bytes would be sent and received and things will stop right there.

When nothing worked, I removed all the network adapters and protocols and re-installed Win98SE on top of the existing installation (even that was Win98SE). This generated a few errors regarding teefer.vxd and would refuse to start except in safe mode.

In safe mode I went ahead and deleted an entry for this Teefer and to my surprise, Win98SE started after a couple of errors initially. Now it doesn't give me any errors and starts normally, but creates a key by the name of Teefer under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Service > VXD. If this key is present, my net connection is as dead as a dodo. If I delete this key, it becomes normal. But this key gets created in the registry everytime I start my machine.

I have scanned my system with updated Norton AV as well as updated AVG and they haven't reported any virus. But is this a new virus? There is no other apparent abnormal activity.

Also, my PC cannot browse the network (LAN of 4 stand-alone PCs with a hub and LAN-cards). It just keeps telling me that its unable to do so. All the wires are connected, LAN card drivers and LAN protocols are installed. Whever my PC is on, the hub shows that my PC is on with a small green Led Indicator. I am not behind any firewalls.

I am totally confused. :confused:

Here's a link to my original problem posted at TSG forums.
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=691252#post691252

2. IMM

IMM

I asked in your other post if the Teefer in question was the Sygate winsock uninstaller from their tech support. Have you found this vxd and right clicked to check the properties so you can see if a company name is available? Do you use any sygate stuff (such as their office network or firewall)?

3. Balzac

Balzac Guest

4. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser Thread Starter

You guys seem to have hit the bull's eye!! I have Sygate Personal Firewall installed in my PC. I run it as and when necessary and it doesn't run every time I start my PC. But something called SMC gets executed from the same folder as Sygate so obviously its something related to it. I disabled it and Teefer key no longer gets created in the registry!!

I will have this thread marked as resolved and proceed with the earlier one.

Earlier when I tried, I could not find this file. But now, I could find it. I wonder how!! I have never been so dumb :rolleyes:. It does mention the name of Sygate there.

Thanks a lot. I am relieved that its at least not a virus and my PC isn't infected!!

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Closed thread and resolved requested by thread starter.

Dave

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice