Resolution Help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ffej

Okay, here' my problem. Whenever I set my resolution above 600 x 800, the color count goes down automatically. Is there any way to have a high resolution and a high color?

Oh, by the way, I use a Gateway EV700 monitor on an S3 ViRGE -DX/GX PCI (375/385).

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm going to guess that you're trying to set your resolution and color palette higher than what's supported.

16-bit color is plenty. 24-bit or 32-bit color isn't needed.

Have you tried downloading and installing any updated drivers for your display adapter/video card?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

Ffej

I'm trying to get it to go to 16 bit at 1152 x 864. I tried getting drivers, but I can't seem to find any.

Try downloading the video driver either at the manufactures' website or the one below.

http://www.eurocomsl.com/vga.html

Also download any drivers for your monitor.

By glancing on some of the specs on your video card, it should handle up to 1600 x 1200, 32-bit, however your monitor can only handle 1280 x 1024 with Dot pitch 0.28mm. So in other words, you'll never be able to use 1600 x 1200 on your current monitor. The maximum setting you can use is 1280 x 1024, which may strain your monitor. Just watch it carefully to see nothing in the view is "jiggling".

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You might also have to experiment with the refresh rate. "Optimum" or "Default" isn't always the best to use. Just don't set it lower than 75 Hz.

What size monitor do you have? Have you tried 1024 X 768?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

Ffej

I tried the refresh rate, but to no avail. I think my monitor is 17". It goes up to high resolution, but won't maintain the color.

By the way, those drivers didn't really come with... directions. Which ones do I use? I run Windows ME.

Since it's a zip download, go ahead and download the file and once done, unzip it and see if there's a folder for WinME to install the driver from. If you don't see one, then go to the manufacture website and download the driver there.

Ffej

I don't know the manufacturer's website, and that zip had no drivers for ME.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts