1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resolution Help.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Ffej, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ffej

Ffej Thread Starter

Okay, here' my problem. Whenever I set my resolution above 600 x 800, the color count goes down automatically. Is there any way to have a high resolution and a high color?

Oh, by the way, I use a Gateway EV700 monitor on an S3 ViRGE -DX/GX PCI (375/385).

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm going to guess that you're trying to set your resolution and color palette higher than what's supported.

16-bit color is plenty. 24-bit or 32-bit color isn't needed.

Have you tried downloading and installing any updated drivers for your display adapter/video card?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

3. Ffej

Ffej Thread Starter

I'm trying to get it to go to 16 bit at 1152 x 864. I tried getting drivers, but I can't seem to find any.

4. Bruce319

Bruce319

Try downloading the video driver either at the manufactures' website or the one below.

http://www.eurocomsl.com/vga.html

Also download any drivers for your monitor.

By glancing on some of the specs on your video card, it should handle up to 1600 x 1200, 32-bit, however your monitor can only handle 1280 x 1024 with Dot pitch 0.28mm. So in other words, you'll never be able to use 1600 x 1200 on your current monitor. The maximum setting you can use is 1280 x 1024, which may strain your monitor. Just watch it carefully to see nothing in the view is "jiggling".

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You might also have to experiment with the refresh rate. "Optimum" or "Default" isn't always the best to use. Just don't set it lower than 75 Hz.

What size monitor do you have? Have you tried 1024 X 768?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

6. Ffej

Ffej Thread Starter

I tried the refresh rate, but to no avail. I think my monitor is 17". It goes up to high resolution, but won't maintain the color.

By the way, those drivers didn't really come with... directions. Which ones do I use? I run Windows ME.

7. Bruce319

Bruce319

Since it's a zip download, go ahead and download the file and once done, unzip it and see if there's a folder for WinME to install the driver from. If you don't see one, then go to the manufacture website and download the driver there.

8. Ffej

Ffej Thread Starter

I don't know the manufacturer's website, and that zip had no drivers for ME.

9. Bruce319

Bruce319

Here's a driver for your WinMe. I believe there's a typo in the title after the S though. However, it does mention, "For graphics cards using S3 chip, can be used for 95/98/Me" if you keep reading which replaces the pound symbol with the number three.

http://www.video-drivers.com/drivers/39/39072.htm

10. Ffej

Ffej Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. Lemme see if it worked.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice