1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Resolution problem with Dell 2407 FWP Monitor

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by MKraus, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MKraus

MKraus Thread Starter

I am having a problem with screen resolution with my Dell 2407 FWP monitor.
    I’ve been on the phone multiple times between Dell and NVIDIA (my card manufacturer) without a satisfactory answer. I am using a Gateway 710 PC and XP Home and I even upgraded to a NVIDIA GE Force 7600 GS 512MB card thinking the card was the problem. The native resolution of the Dell 2407 is 1920x1200. This yields small icons, fonts and screens. I have tried all the resolutions available to me in the Settings panel of the Display Properties window and other than 1920x1200 or 1680x1050, all the other ones are not a 16:10 ratio and distort the image. Dell suggested using 1280x800 or 1440x900, but these choices are not available to me. Dell said they can see them on a test they ran, even though they are not supported. I don’t really understand this, because I can’t see
    them on mine. The spec sheet says the monitor supports 1920x1200, 1600x1200, 1280x1024, 1152x864, 1024x768, 800x600.
    Nevertheless, my question is…do you have any suggestions what I can do to see a reasonably sized image that is not distorted. I have played around with changing font sizes and changing the DPI which helps some with the size, but causes overlap of text in some screens and windows.

I could provide you more specific information if you desire, I didn’t want to overload you with details now. I really like the monitor, I just can’t understand why I can’t get a decent sized image without distortion. Lots of folks have 24 inch wide paneled monitors and the image is fine, they just seem to have more resolution choices than I have.

Thanks,
    Matthew Kraus

2. PopPicker

PopPicker

What program are you using to view the images?

3. MKraus

MKraus Thread Starter

I am using XP home. I don't specifically mean my "images". I mean my desktop & windows in IE. All fonts, icons, type are small. Too small to read. Some programs allow you to enalarge their specific screen when opened, but in general, my basic desktop and windows explorer and IE and AOL windows and type are small.

Thanks
    Matthew Kraus

4. PopPicker

PopPicker

OK, I have mine set to 1024 x 768 and it's fine, I've not changed font size from default.

The distortion you may get it because application windows 'stretch' for fit the full screen. I rarely have any application set to full screen. If you resize your windows to fit around 3/4 of the width, you'll not get distortion.

5. MKraus

MKraus Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. You're right. If I do as you say, I do not get any distortion. But, I'd like to use the full screen, that's why I just purchased a wide screen monitor. Any way I can get the same sized fonts, text and icons that show in the settings you described, but with the full screen and without distortion? Thanks again.

Matthw Kraus

6. PopPicker

PopPicker

Only when the software designers create applications for widescreen. This will happen in time, however just because your internet browser works in widescreen mode doesn't mean the websites you are visiting will be.

7. Hughv

Hughv

You can control some of these sizes in Display Properties:
    Appearance/Advanced/Icon size, Spacing etc.

8. MKraus

MKraus Thread Starter

Thanks. Though I can make some of these changes in Display Properties, and I have, it unfortunately is a compromise as it causes text overlap on some screens.
    I ideally need a 16:10 resolution to fit my wide screen monitor.Is there any way I could get 1440x900 or 1280x800 as an option in my display panel so I could use either of them?

9. Hughv

Hughv

The native resolution is the best one to use.
    In IE or FF, you can change text size by holding the Ctrl key and scrolling the mouse wheel.
    You can also do this from the View menu.
    I use a 22" monitor and usually set the screen size to about 3/4th the size available as suggested by PopIcker, but I don't get any distortion on web sites. You might check your default font settings to correct this.

10. UOGAddict

UOGAddict

I use dual 22" wide screen monitors (with a gforce 8800). I have each monitor set to 1680x1050 and it seems to be just right for just about everything.

11. ProHermit

ProHermit

I use an LG 22'' at 1680x1050 widescreen res also.
    I have no problems with reading web pages and absolutely everything works fine.
    Using Photoshop and Flash at this res on this monitor is awesome, however I really do think anything bigger than a 22'' screen is an overkill and too big to physically work with comfortably, maybe just gaming but not to work hours with. A friend of mine thinks bigger the screen the better, but has no idea when it comes to working with Photoshop all day and messing around with web design, graphics and starring at a screen for hours on end. If the screeen is too big, you get eye strain after a while. There is an optimum size and res and for me the settings and monitor size I have, is it, imho.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice