1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

resolution problem

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lozb, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lozb

lozb Banned Thread Starter

I am having a problem with the resolution on my computer when it boots up into mint the resolution is in 640x480 which of course makes everything to big so I have to change it to a higher resolution everytime I start it up. My comp has a Nvidia Geforce 9600 graphics card with 1gb DDR2 memory 4.2 GB CPU and my OS is linux mint gnome 9.
    Can anyone help me please?

2. vtel57

vtel57

Check the Mint repos (using Synaptic Package Manager) and install the Nvidia drivers for Mint. That should give you better graphics capability with your hardware.

3. lozb

sorry vtel 57 but that didnt work going on package manager and installing the Nvidia drivers?

4. vtel57

vtel57

Just so I'm sure that I'm understanding this properly...

You say that you CAN set your Mint to a higher resolution, but that when you reboot, it's back to the lower res?

Also, this is an actual install of Mint on hard drive partitions, not virtual anything or Live CD, right?

And one other question... what windows/desktop manager are you using in that Mint installation? Gnome? Xfce? KDE?

5. lewmur

lewmur

If you have installed the "restricted drivers" and can use /Admistration/Nvidia X Server Settings to set your resolution, then the reason the settings don't "stick" is that you need "root permissions" to save them. Use "sudo nvidia-settings" from a console, to solve your problem.

6. vtel57

vtel57

What Lew says may very well be your solution.

Keep us posted...

7. lozb

Yeah when I boot it up it opens on a low resolution 640x480 to get it into a higher res I have to go into the control centre and look for the Nvidia X server settings and then set the it to a higher res every time I boot it up. I use the Gnome mint 9 OS but I have the KDE version on my other hard drive which is working fine with no probs. And its a full install of the Gnome version of mint 9 and I think that I have tried the sudo nvidia-settings without any luck! would upgrading to version 10 of Gnome mint solve this problem?

8. lewmur

lewmur

I doubt seriously if you tried the sudo nvidia-settings because it has workrf for everyone else who has had this problem. That said, trying the later version can't hurt. Ubuntu finally addressed the problem in 10.10 so Mint 10 might have also.

9. TeDiouSish

TeDiouSish

When you type that in the terminal what is the output?
    (As in, what does it say?)

10. lewmur

lewmur

It starts the same app as when you click /Administration/Nvidia Server Settings. But it does so with root permissions. You need root permissions to save the xorg.conf file where the settings are stored. If you run Nvidia Server Settings from the menu, it will change your setting only for the current session.

You can fix that by modifying the Main Menu entry for Nvidia Server Settings and adding "gksudo " to the begging of the command line entry.

11. TeDiouSish

TeDiouSish

If that response isn't to me, please disregard this post.
    But I was asking what lozb specifically sees. :)

12. ken1987

ken1987

hey dude, just asking. do you know how to hack?

13. lozb

TeDiouSish thanks for replying when i typed in the sudo config stuff and pressed enter there was some response but after i closed the terminal i still had the problem. i think it was a bug with mint 9 because i have now upgraded to mint Gnome 10 and the problem is gone! as in i dont have a problem with the resolution anymore.

Thanks for your help lozb

14. lozb

ken1987 no i don't know how to hack sos m8

15. TeDiouSish

TeDiouSish

I tried. :p

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/rms-hack.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!