1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] "480bytes received,480bytes [email protected],300"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sharky, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

this is an online problem.

when i am online,i can only get a "page cannot be displayed"

i confirmed i am actually "online".
    i have tryed every web site(just about)
    i have typed addresses.
    i have uninstalled and reinstalled my modem correctly(with correct driver)
    i have used different ISP's.

when i pass the curser over the lit,two screen icon in the bottom right hand corner of my screen,i receive the subjetc quote about byted received,sent. in the pst i had thought i have seen the bytes number to be typically in the 100,000's

thanks,shark

ps i have been reduced to using a work computer and the local library's computer to surf: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Do you have an emergency disk to scan your system for virus & worms?
    Use it if you do.

Savvy

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi sharky,

Call your ISP and verify they haven't changed any connection settings.......

Since you say you've tried other ISPs, you may have made some changes....some servers need DNS numbers in the settings area.

4. sharky

savvylady:i have searched my computer for viruses and trojan things and results came back negative(using the cleaner and penicinlin(spell error))

accandy:actually,computer was going fine. i then called a ISP to cancel. this low bytes thing began just as the isp physically shut down thier service. (ps my bill was paided i full,could they have got mad?)

5. ~Candy~

I would give whichever service you are trying to use a phone call.

Have them walk you thru the internet connection settings they require.

And as silly as it may seem, did you verify the phone number you are calling? It's not per chance the one for the service you cancelled????

6. Rockn

Rockn

Have you set up a new account with a new ISP?? Sounds like you are connecting but that is about it. It also sounds like you are using your old dial up connection and the settings are probably incorrect....need to change more than just the phone number some times.

7. edals

edals

Something else simple to do if you want to test your connection, is got to Start>Run and then type in command.......this will bring up a DOS prompt. At that prompt (after you have dialed up) type ping www.your_isp_webiste.com and see if it connects and how quickly.

If you are unsure of the results that you are seeing, feel free to paste them back here.

8. sharky

hi
    i have to leave now, printed everyone's advice and will respond tommorrow with results/reply.

ps acacandy, reading ur slogan,the one about leading a horse to water but you can't make them drink? every try bringing a cat to water and trying to make them drink? they refuse everytime.

9. ~Candy~

Funny you should say that sharky.....I take my princess in the pool with me.....sit her on my lap, she gets down into the water by herself!!!!! :D And she always takes a drink.....That's what happens when you have too much free time on your hands! :D :D

10. indigowindow

indigowindow

i have the same problem. estimate maybe 1 out of 10 dialups. when this happens i reboot and usually that takes care of it. on rare occasions i have to reboot more than once, but rebooting is the only thing that works for me. if someone has a better solution .....:p

11. sharky

this is a post for closure.

i had a number of posts on "page not found",low bytes/modem,and numerous other problems.

it got to the point,one major problem led to multiple other problems. utility-problem programs did not work.

i think what started it all was a winsock file delection and/or corruption or multiple winsock files. plus other computer porblems that i had on the computer but did not interfere with surfing on the internet.

i reinstalled windows from the emergency recovery disk(reinstalled with format)as a final step. ( i was getting ready to just leave my computer on someone's doorstep and get a new computer)

that worked. after self educating myself about reinstalling drivers from the driver disk. computer is up and ready and surfing around the internet just find.

i do not have sound on the computer as i try to tweek out what is wrong there,but i can live without sound coming from the computer.

on the driver cd provided with my computer when i bought it? i did find spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. i found that fact interesting for a disk so important

thanks tech guys and gals for support!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice