1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}512MB stick into a Dell PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KrzyPrk, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

I've just seen a stick 512MB of RAM PC133 (Kingston) put into a Dell computer. I dont know which model it is but it has a Pentium III CPU. It wouldnt boot up. The monitor wouldnt turn on. We have tried another stick of the same RAM so, it's not the RAM itself.

I'm wondering if this mobo supports a 512MB stick. Is there anything missing here?

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Dell systems are pretty proprietary. Any memory other than Dell may not work. Really can't answer your question without knowing what model the motherboard is. Once you find out you can go here and find the system specs.
    http://support.dell.com/us/en/home.asp

3. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

That is not all true. Dell is NOT proprietary. Dell use a lot of differnet parts from different company. Make sure that the computer work with the PC133. What is the spec on the other RAM?

4. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

thanks guys.

the original stick of RAM is a 64MB PC100. it has 4 slots for the RAM.

5. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

Check with Dell to see if that board support PC133, it might not.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Which is generally irrelevant.

I don't know about proprietary machines, but SDRAM is generally backward compatible. PC133 RAM will run on PC100 boards (or even 66 boards), but at the lower speed.

I'm running 128mb of PC133 with 64mb of PC100 on a PC100 board with no problems at all.

Having said that, we have Dells at work, and have to buy extra RAM from them because of warranty, although our techies are sure that the machines should handle any quality RAM. And Dell charge about 100% more for RAM than off-the-shelf stuff.

7. ibdewey

ibdewey

I agree with Paul. SDRam should back down to whatever speed motherboard you have. Although we have run into a few problems before. We sale a lot of Kingston memory but we've occassionally run into systems that either read half of the memory size or don't boot at all. Tried a generic no name brand of memory that was the same size and speed and it worked fine. So if you can get your hands on some other brand of memory it would be worth a try.

8. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

thanks for replying

i just got back and was informed that the motherboard is capable of supporting 1024MB of RAM. since there are 4 slots, i guess there should be 4 sticks of 256MB.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice