1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}A few questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fooath, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

Alright, this is my first time putting together a computer. So a lot of these questions might sound completely stupid. But I do need some help. I got everything setup, or so I thought. I plugged all the devices into the mobo, but when I tried to turn it on...nothing happened. I figured at least a fan would turn. But nothing at all. Being rather new to the game I truly have no idea what I did wrong.

Also a couple things I could not figure out. There is a four ping connector on the motherboard which is called "Aux1" in the manual. Along with "Auxiliary Line_IN connector". Something suppose to go here? Only in certain circumstances?

Also, the thing that the various front of tower buttons connect to, pw led, speaker, reset, HD led, I only have 4 things to connect to these. It didnt seem like a problem to me but I wanted to be sure that they were not all suppose to have something running to them.

And finally, when you connect the power supply to the devices, each set of cords running from the power supply has multiple connections. Am I suppose to use one of the three-connection set ups for all my drives? Or connection of the three to each from a seperate cord?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give in advance.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Fooath, welcome to TSG.

Let's try to take one thing at a time.

Let's try to get the computer started first before you worry too much about plugging everything in....

Let's just hook up the basics to start....cpu, ram (one chip), floppy drive, video card (if it's not on the motherboard already), monitor and one hard drive.....do you have an operating system on the hard drive yet or are you going to be attempting to format and install? If so, do you have a bootable floppy disk handy?

And yes, you need to plug the floppy drive into a connector (small one) coming from the power supply, and the hard drive into another connector coming from the power supply (larger one).

3. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

I had the CPU and the Ram installed prior to shipping.I put the floppy drive, video card, hard drive, and cd rom drive in. All I changed from my old comp was the power supply, mobo(cpu, ram), and the video card. The OS is on the hard drive. I didnt wipe before I reinstalled it. I still got a disk handy just in case.

I got everything plugged into the power supply, and connected to the motherboard.

heh, more help! :)

Thanks for the VERY fast reply. Not used to that on a message board. :)

4. ~Candy~

I'd still pull the cdrom (or at least disconnect it).

And just because the cpu and ram shipped with the board doesn't mean they are in there securely........ :)

Also double check the power supply connection to the motherboard.

5. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

I disconnected the CD-ROM.

I checked the RAM, CPU, and the power connection to motherboard. It all checked out nice and tight. Anything else?

6. ~Candy~

Is the power supply coming on at all? If not, dead power supply.

If the power supply is coming on and nothing else, if everything you say is correct, then I'd be concerned about the motherboard.

7. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

Alright, after dinking with it for a bit the power supply fan finally kicked in. Just for a second. Since I had nothing else except power hooked to it I shut it off thinking it would work again after hooking up monitor, it didnt. I unhooked the other stuff again and tried. Still no luck. I thought it was the power supply but it DID kick in ONCE. But after that still couldnt get it to work.

Also, there is a little switch on the back with 115/230. Just a little red thing. I tried under both of them. Neither one seemed to really matter.

8. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

I would leave the switch in the back on the 115 setting. The power supply cables that went to the Mobo, was it a two piece connection or a one piece connection?

9. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

I left it on 115. It is a one piece.

I went to a few other sites looking around and found a way to test the power supply using the plug that runs from power supply to mobo. I tried it, fan kicked in. So apparently the power supply is fine.

Now, is there anyway to find out what is wrong on the mobo, if anything? Or why the fan would kick in during the test, but NOT when I actually connect it to mobo? Oh, and the other thing was the 3 lights on my keyboard come on temporarily EVERY time I switched the power on, but they swiftly went out.

Oh, and is the 2 row, 20 hole connector the only one that is suppose to be connected?

10. RonK

RonK

What motherboard do you have ?

11. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

I have seen you searchin in the other threads, good. Did you take the mobo out of the case and set it on a piece of cardboard? Do you have a manual for the mobo? Did the CPU fan also come on as well as the 3 lights on the keyboard? (3 lights flashing is normal, part of post) CPU fan is hooked up? Now since you have it out of the case and on the cardboard, you only need the vid card, monitor, one stick of ram, and the floppy to get the thing to pass the post and tell you if the mobo is good.

good luck

12. Fooath

Fooath Thread Starter

Alright, I took everything apart and put it all back together. It starts up now. I took it out to try your suggestion, got bored and put it all back together. I paid more attention to where what went and in what direction. It was probably something simple.

I do have another problem though. I will post it elsewhere. You can close this one up. Thanks for all the help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice