1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Abnormal Program Termination

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by laurfar, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

I have a HP Pavilion computer and am using Windows 98SE. It came with musicmatch jukebox on it. Today when I tried to open it and use it I got a box saying that there is a run time error, and that
    Program
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCHJUKEBOX\MMJB.EXE
    abnormal program termination
    I checked to make sure that my startup list had it checked to start at startup, but don't know what to do now that it still doesn'twork. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. Matrikx_

Matrikx_

Did you download this program? Either way you may need to remove and reinstall. Also you may want to move this post to a more Program specific forum as most of the user here wont post to program Issue. =) good luck.

3. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Thanks for your sug to move it to another topic board. No this was not something I want or ever downloaded, but my daughter may have. She says she doesn't remember downloading it. I need to know how to get rid of it. I can only find it on the start up list of programs under msconfig in "run". Lauren

4. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Ooops, goofed and put a comment on this thread while thinking of another program I'm trying to get rid of. The Music match jukebox IS something I want, it came already loaded on my pc when I bought it. I never downloaded it, so if I remove it on the add and remove programs in the control panel, I won't have a way to put it back on. I am going to try putting this prob on another board as you suggested. Won't I get into trouble if I put this on another more specific board. Isn't putting it on 2 boards against the rules? Someone help please.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The bugger came installed on my Dell too, however it is listed in Add/Remove programs. If you reallly want to uninstall it we may have to find someone with HP who has had a similar problem.

However in the meantime, to avoid the startup error, see if you can run the program from the Programs Menu; if it isn't in the Start > Programs Menu, just navigate to its folder in Explorer and try running the .exe

Click the Options > Settings tab and UNcheck the entry for QuickPlay in System Tray, if that is checked; also uncheck any "check for updates" options.

Alternatively you can just keep it unchecked in msconfig.

>> don't post another thread, I'll move this to the "all other software" forum.

If you want to keep the program, but can't get rid of the startup error, try updating it from their site.

6. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Rog, did you see my ooops comment? I really want this to program to work. It is listed on the add/remove program list, but if I remove it I don't have a way to put it back on since it came free on my HP pc. Also I don't know how to find it in explorer. How do I find it in explorer? What do I click on to look in explorer, I've never done that. I dont see any "options" that you mention in your post. I really don't see any "quick play" or music match anywhere, except on the add/remove programs list in the control panel folder in "my computer". There is nothing on my start>programs list. I'd like to have this Music Match Juke box work again. Lauren

7. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Hi, I finally found Music Match in my list of start>programs, but it is a shortcut. When I double click to open it from there it said:
    "The drive or network connection that the short cut Music Match Jukebox.Ink refers to is unavailable. Make sure the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, then try again". If I remove this from the add/remove list in my computer is there a way to restore it without having to buy it from the website? It was included with the other software on my computer so I'd rather not buy it if possible. Instruction and ideas will be appreciated. Lauren

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

From the first error message the path to MusicMatch should be:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCHJUKEBOX\MMJB.EXE

Verify that mmjb.exe is present in that location and try to run it manually from there by clicking mmjb.exe

If it opens without error, go to your Programs Menu shortcut that is giving the path error and Right Click on it and select "Properties"

You will see a "Target" field there. Make sure the path is that above.

It should be in quotation marks, here is mine:

"C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmjb.exe"

If you can't get it to run with out error, I'd just download the latest "basic" version, which is probably what you have if it came installed.

http://www.musicmatch.com/download/plus/jukebox_intro.htm?os=pc&BTD=1

Was this a typing error: MUSICMATCHJUKEBOX (one word as opposed to two)?

9. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

OK here goes. You were right that MUSICMATCHJUKEBOX was a typing error on my part. I actually did find Music Match on my start>programs menu list & tried the properties check as you directed. The target field is correct as you gave it, quotation marks and all. I checked the one on the start>programs menu that is a short cut as well and it reads the same in the target field except it has a number 4 written after the MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX Nothing I did helped this to run. I checked the "find files" place again, putting the name in just as it should be, and the answer was that "some musicmatch components have been corrupted. Please reinstall MusicMatch Jukebox. So apparently that is what I will do. Thank you for the link to find a download for the 'basic'. Please tell me before I do download the basic, shouldn't I remove the one I have through my add and remove folder in "My Computer"???? I won't do anything till I hear from you. Thanks

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Although new versions usually overinstall without problem when there is no serious corruption of the original (and no instructions to do otherwise) -- I think in your case it would definitely be advisable to remove what you have as best you can first. Hopefully the Add/Remove uninstaller will not fail.

Also, I'm not sure if that download link allows it, but it's always best to try to save the setup file to a convenient folder. That way you can run setup at your convenience and always reinstall or overinstall it at a later date without downloading it again.

11. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Thanks, this has been a great help. Lauren

12. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Rog,
    I thought I was done with this but I'm back. I went to add & remove programs, deleted Music Match, used the link you gave me and downloaded "Basic" music match, as it downloaded I got a pop up box that said "An installation support file C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\{45EBDA59-D33B-433A-956E-B2F236468B56}\_lsuser.dll' could not be installed. Access is denied".I clicked the OK box and it proceded to install it and I used it. It worked fine. When I closed the program later, and then wanted to start it again I got this popup "Runtime Error! Program C:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH JUKEBOX\MM_TRAY.EXE
    This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information." I know that the tech support team for music match has already told me they only help if it's been purchased, not for a freebee like basic. I am completely unable to open this program even though I downloaded a completely new one from their website as you told me to do after removing the original that didn't work any longer.
    Quotation marks are mine. I am completely stumped somehow an important temp file was dumped, probably my doing. Is there a way to get this missing file back? I can't go back in my registry because it has been at least a week since I was trying to clean out files. I didn't do it in my usual way and I think I screwed up and lost an important temp file. Any help?

13. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Don't give up on me, I still need your input Rog. I was told by my daughter that when she clicked the little pop up on Music Match a week ago, that it wanted her to "get the latest" upgrade for the program. As it was downloading something happened to shut the whole machine down, and maybe that is why it says there was an "abnormal termination" of the program. Still don't know why after removing the one I had on there, downloading the "basic" from their website, and running it, then closing, then trying to start it again, it says what it does, and I can't get it to open. Help if you can.

14. laurfar

laurfar Thread Starter

Ok, If there is no answer for how to get musicmatch downloaded and installed due to my problems, then can someone give me names of other players that I can install for just the basics like playing a music CD and some mp3s that I have downloaded from the internet. Help!

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Laufar, I am deeply sorry for missing your two previous replies. I looked and somehow didn't see.

I prefer Winamp version 2.81 myself (avoid the 3.0 version). It's a little geeky but once you get used to it I think you'll find it quite convenient.

http://classic.winamp.com/download/index.jhtml

I'll look a little further into your other problem

What happens if you run msconfig and uncheck the entry for mmtray.exe under the startup group? Can you get it to open by running it from the Programs Menu? Try opening the Options > Preferences dialog and uncheck

>>enable QuickPlay in system tray
    >>periodically check for updates
    >> upload user preferences

Laurfar, I found this in Google > Groups for the Music Match error, see if it works for you:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=79455f33fcf4f3d&rnum=4

I have the file DefaultPlayList.m3u in:

C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox

Basically this is a lesson that even when a program is uninstalled it can leave behind files in it's old programs directory. They all should be deleted.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice