[Resolved] access denied error when emptying recycle bin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alugal

I am using Windows me and I have tried to remove " pop-up stopper" program. it consisted of 4 files (?) . 3 of them went away when I clicked on empty recycle bin but one elicited error message "dpps2: access is denied. the file may be in use." I had no windows open so it was not in use. I tried support.microsoft.com with no results.

My computer has been in delayed reaction, viz slow to respond to keyboard and mouse. Mcafee says I have a trojan virus in 2 files. I have not gotten help from them yet in cleaning that up. I don't know if all this is related or not, so I thought I would delete "pop-up stopper" and then do a virus scan.

For the popup stopper problem, the file should not have ended up in the recycle bin if you uninstalled it through Add/Remove programs. You may have to reinstall this program, then uninstall it properly, but look for it in Add/Remove.

For the Trojan problems we would need more info. Exactly what are the files quarantined, where are they and what trojans were found.

alugal

Thanks to all for your swift and accurate help!! The house calls did the job. The offending file was removed and computer is happy!:
I feel like Christmas!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!