1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] access denied error when emptying recycle bin

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by alugal, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alugal

alugal Thread Starter

I am using Windows me and I have tried to remove " pop-up stopper" program. it consisted of 4 files (?) . 3 of them went away when I clicked on empty recycle bin but one elicited error message "dpps2: access is denied. the file may be in use." I had no windows open so it was not in use. I tried support.microsoft.com with no results.

My computer has been in delayed reaction, viz slow to respond to keyboard and mouse. Mcafee says I have a trojan virus in 2 files. I have not gotten help from them yet in cleaning that up. I don't know if all this is related or not, so I thought I would delete "pop-up stopper" and then do a virus scan.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

3. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

If you have a virus then this is probably what's causing it. The first thing you need to do is get rid of it.

Go here for a free online scan
    http://www.antivirus.com/pc-cillin/

Let us know what happens.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

LOL... hi Lisa... same place, different URL

Savvy :)

5. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Savvy...... very fast typing there :)

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

For the popup stopper problem, the file should not have ended up in the recycle bin if you uninstalled it through Add/Remove programs. You may have to reinstall this program, then uninstall it properly, but look for it in Add/Remove.

For the Trojan problems we would need more info. Exactly what are the files quarantined, where are they and what trojans were found.

7. alugal

alugal Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your swift and accurate help!! The house calls did the job. The offending file was removed and computer is happy!:
    I feel like Christmas!!

8. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

You're welcome and Happy Christmas :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice