1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) All my USB Ports do not work! Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computer_pet, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computer_pet

computer_pet Thread Starter

Yesterday I tried to scan a document except the scanner was not found on the PC, and was not found. I swapped USB ports except it still did not work and no sound, came through when you usally take out or put in a USB device. I few days before this my cordless mouse stopped working that is plugged into a USB port. Today I tried to plug in my Digital Camera and that also did not work.

The PC is a Compaq with Windows XP Home installed. I have four USB ports, two at front and two at back of PC. All four are not responding to any device.

I really need to use a USB port today. Can anyone help?

2. computer_pet

Any help would be really great!
    I need to fix this today, so any one got a solution???????

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

Try another USB device to confirm if the ports are functional.

Right click on MY computer (in your Start menu or desktop), select Properties - Hardware(tab) - Device manager.... locate the USB listing at the bottom of the list. Are USB HUB & hardware listed there.

- your USB maybe disabled... somehow.
    - your USB ports can also be blown.
    - Your USB scanner maybe dead
    - your USB cable maybe damaged or dead.

4. Paquadez

Paquadez

C_Pet

Have you checked that the USB devices are enabled?

Could be a software glitch.

Go to "System" in Control Panel and then "Device Manager", then check to see that the USB Controller is still installed and that there are no problems.

If there are, try re-installing the USB Controller from the Compaq Restore disk.

Paq

5. computer_pet

I looked at the Device Manager, and when clicking on properties of the "USB Host Controler" the computer froze.

I re-started and the USB ports are working again. Maybe it was a Software glich and needed re-starting.

Thanks

6. Paquadez

Paquadez

C_Pet

Sounds like it!

As a precaution, might be worth re-installing XP at some stage, just to be on the safe side!

All the best

Paq

7. computer_pet

Ok Thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice