1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Automatically Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hdlowrider, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hdlowrider

hdlowrider Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 5461 computer that will intermitently shut it's self off. It will do it while online or off, there is no set pattern or prompts that pop up on the screen. It is just as if you push the power button. Sometimes it will reboot automatically and other times you have to manually reboot. Occasionally it will start up in safe mode. It is windows 98 operating system. I have had it in two different shops for repair, one said there was no problem the other found a problem in the standby, which helped for about 2 weeks and now the problem seems to be worse than before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. mark5019

mark5019

have you checked to see if fans stay running?
    if it shuts self off and reboots im leaning towards a heat problem

3. $teve

$teve

hd,what is your ram configuration? like,how much/how many sticks/what size/are all your slots full?
    i had a similar problem and all it was my pc didnt like all three slots used,dont know why......try taking one stick out and let us know what happens.
    good luck;)

4. hdlowrider

Yes the fans are running, and I have 128 Megs of ram 2 sticks of 64. I installed the second stick myself last year. Thought about removing it to see if it made a difference but wasn't sure, I will try it and get back....

5. hdlowrider

Hey Steve and Mark,
    I took the case off to remove a stick of ram (by the way I have one slot open) and started looking at my fans, they were both running but were so dirty that I don't think any air could get through to cool. I haven't had it shut off on me all day or since I blew it out, but I'm going to put it to the test tonight. I'll keep you posted and Thanks Alot. hdlowrider

P.S. Could being dirty be the problem?

6. hdlowrider

Well I put it to the test and it failed again!!! @#[email protected]%^%computer. Guess I'll try the ram. This has been going on for about 4 to 5 months and I'm getting pretty sick and tired of it, so I'll try the ram then maybe the garbage can!!!!!!

7. kknla

kknla

Maybe try running it with the cover off for a little while. See if it still shuts off while doing this. This will help drop the temp of the cpu

8. hdlowrider

O.K. I took a stick of ram out and it just shut off on me again!!! By the way I have tried a new power cord, a new surge protecter, and moved it to a different room in
    the house.. Please help!
    hdlowrider

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Heat is still a suspect with AMD k6/2

You can get some extra cooling by installing RAIN2, a software cooler that helps many with these AMDs

http://www.notebookreview.com/coolcpu.html

Also if you've installed hardware above and beyond the original configuration, your power supply may no longer be up to the job.

swapping ram sticks out one at a time is probably your best ram test. But you can also try a software tester:

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

To use it, install it to a clean floppy, boot it like a startup disk and let it run for a couple of "burnin" loops at least.

10. hdlowrider

Thanks, I'm going to try the software cooler link first and see if it works. One step at a time right! I want to try to eliminate the problem by process of elimination so I know what was causing it so I can fix it at the root. Will get back and thanks a million.
    hdlowrider

11. hdlowrider

Hey Rolling Rog,
    I downloaded the Rain 2 cooling software and after it was complete it asked what I wanted to do open, open folder, or cancel. I clicked open and a box popped up that said it was to big to open with notepad would I like to open with notebook. When I Click yes all I get is a bunch of text. This has happened on previous downloads also. What now? I'm pretty novice.

Thanks Hd lowrider

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The file you downloaded should be rain20.zip. You should download it to its own folder. If you did not get the option to specify a folder for the download, you should do it again, but right click on the link and select "save target as". This will allow you to specify the directory. Once it is downloaded you will need a zip program to extract the files.

If you have a zip program open the zip file through it and extract the files to the folder. There is a Readme.txt file and an FAQ you should read. The actuall install is made by clicking on the install.exe file

If you don't have a zip program, you can get Winzip here:

http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm

The "evaluation version" does not expire.

13. hdlowrider

Thanks for the help,
    I successfully installed the rain cooling software. So far so good but I'm not going to take it to the bank yet, but I have my fingers crossed. I will let you know if it solved the problem.
    hdlowrider

14. hdlowrider

Just an update, since I installed the rain software the computer has only shut off on me once in 2 1/2 days. Used to have lockups very frequently, they seem to be at a minimum. Thanks

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The improvement is a very good indication that it is a heat related problem. The downside of using a "software cooler" is that it is less efficient when the cpu is being driven the hardest. This is because it works by placing the cpu in a "suspend" state when it would otherwise be "idle". But when the cpu is used the most, such as in gaming, it is less able to do that.

If the problem continues to be an aggravation, a bigger heatsink might be helpful.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice