1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Resolved) autorun.dat

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Scotiagirl, Jul 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl Thread Starter

Looking for help on info re autorun.dat, My girlfriend has a computer that was given to her, the harddrive had been formatted and we were forever trying to get all her drivers etc, updated and working. We finally got all that done, she has since installed a couple of games from CD and those installed fine. Then two days ago she tried to install 2 more games, and she keeps getting the error, Autorun.dat did not properly load, unable to install.

I am just starting to get familiar with trying to work and troubleshoot things like this, I did a search at Microsoft but the postings there had nothing close to this. My first thought is there should be some way to enable autorun, however she has win 98 and I have XP so I doubt my help screen would be the same as hers.

Should I just install windows? or is there a quick fix? Or her husband did mention these 2 games came from cereal boxes.

Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Scotiagirl

Nobody has any answers? is it that simple? pls

3. mobo

mobo

Regarding the games are they burned games ?

4. Scotiagirl

hmmm never thought of that, they are the free games you get here on cereal boxes, I would think if they were going to be distributed that they should be original, I see you are from same province as me so i suppose you have seen them in the stores, but you may have a point there, maybe they are. Sorry that is all I know about the games.

Thanks

5. mobo

mobo

Try some other cd's first, anything really whether software or programs to see if the cdrom is working correctly first.

Ps.. I work in a store so i have seen many of these and i have heard of problems with them.

6. mobo

mobo

If that isn't the problem then have your girlfriend download autorun wizard which should take care of the problem.

7. Scotiagirl

Thank you for your help, will have her check and will let you know. Apprec your help

8. mobo

mobo

Anytime maritimer....;)

9. Scotiagirl

She got the games loaded using a run command, not sure what the command was as her Dad told her over the phone, and she did not write it down. But thanks for your help. Now all I have to do is learn how to mark this as solved LOL

10. mobo

mobo

Click the report link and ask a moderator to mark as solved.. :D

11. Scotiagirl

Thanks for your help.. apprec that

12. mobo

mobo

Any time..:)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/146355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice