1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Big Trouble! Can't Boot to Windows!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Galleherjazz, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Galleherjazz

Galleherjazz Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stephen
    Here is the problem:

I was installing a program (Camedia Master 4.0) on a friend's Compaq computer with Millenium. After doing this, I decided to clean up her startup menu. I was precipitous in deleting tons of stuff, including what I was told were important Compaq startup prompts. When I rebooted, all I got was the Compaq title screen and a blinking cursor. I tried booting with F8, then with the Delete key, then F2, then F10 (to get into Compaq's bios). Nothing worked. ODDLY, however, suddenly after waiting a long time, Windows ME did boot! So I restored what I thought were the offending files and rebooted. Again, I got just the Compaq title screen and a blinking cursor.
    I called a Compaq tech line (at great expense!) and they told me to retry several of the keys I had already tried. I did a further variety of things, all in vain. Suddenly, when I was about at my wit's end, I got into the bios. It was set to boot first from CD rom, then floppy, then C drive. I changed the bios to boot first from the C drive. But, upon restart, AGAIN, just the title window and the blinking cursor. Again, after a long wait, Windows booted. This time the cursor and keyboard didn't work. I rebooted, and this time, again after a LONG wait, I got everything to work! I was excited! I put back all the startup items! And I restored the computer to an earlier point. At the end of the restore, it automatically restarted and, darn, there was the Compaq title screen and the blinking cursor.

What can I do to get this sucker to reboot properly? I am hoping that in the morning Windows Me will once again mount. This time I'm going to try reinstalling ME from the CD. I worry, however, that upon the reboot, the same thing will occur.

What is wrong and WHAT CAN I DO? I am not a professional at this, but I feel obligated to fix my friends PC, since everything was in apple pie order till I meddled with the startup! I don't relish hiring some young techie to come and charge me a small fortune to set things right. Please, gang, can you help?

With desperation and hope!

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

open a dos box ( start, run, type "command" without the quotes.

type "scanreg /restore" without the quotes. (notice the space between the "g" in scanreg and the "/". it must be there.

then hit enter and choose a date from before you borked the system and then reboot.

3. Galleherjazz

Galleherjazz Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stephen
    After a sleepless night, reading your suggestions and calling my techie genius, he consulted with a Compaq technician and they started dismantalling the hardware. It turns out, we think, that a UCB2 hub stacker might have been the offender. I had just purchased one for my friend. It turns out that I had not rebooted once since installing it, and I THOUGHT that the problem was due to my unchecking items in msconfig startup, but my friend thinks that because I had OVERLOOKED other UCB ports, that the computer balked at the hub--causing the impossibility of booting up. Through the process of elimination, we found the problem. Of course, I had done a recover, and Norton was screwed up, etc., so I reinstalled ME and now all is well, except I can get no sound...and will post another thread about that.
    Thanks for being a great forum.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I assume that's USB2, but what is a "hub stacker" ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice