1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] black screen when rebooted, safemode normal

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by chriscmissle, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chriscmissle

chriscmissle Thread Starter

I remove temp cookies from an old aptiva w/ win95. restarted computer. black screen w/ virticle yellow lines. Help. how can i get back to where it was? I don't want to lose info. Don't have install disk.

2. rkselby98

rkselby98

Start it in safe mode and reinstall the display adapter drivers.

To start in safe mode restart the computer and after the screen showing the computer information start pressing f8 and keep pressing it till you get the start menu. Choose safe mode and continue to boot.

Once the computer is booted up in safe mode, right click on my computer and click on properties. Click on device manager tab, scroll down to the display adapter, click on the plus sign and then high light the name of the adapter, click remove, reboot and when it reboots it should install the right drivers.

3. chriscmissle

Thanks. I tried this but I still have a black screen when I reboot. I opened in safemode. Rebooted the cd. nothing changed. Have I somehow adjusted the verticle or horizontal on the moniter? Safemode works like safemode should. Any help is appreciated.

4. chriscmissle

Please help, anyone.

I removed temp. cookies from an old aptiva pentium w/ win95 plus.

When I rebooted the screen comes up black with 4 virticle lines.

When I open in safemode it works like it should. I reloaded the win95 plus cd that was on the computer but nothing changed.

What have I done? I have an ME, the aptiva was my 11 year olds and kept her off mine so I could use it. Now I am in line again........

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's just have one thread going on this subject, it will avoid duplication and confusion :). I have merged the two.

You might try step by step confirmation and seeing if the problem is in the autoexec.bat or config.sys files, by skipping them. Autoexec.bat would be particularly suspect if you have an antivirus scan being activated from it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243039

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q156126

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q136337

6. chriscmissle

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I love this site and all the supporters who make it run. I have my computer back thanks to you.:D

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Chris, tell us what you did ;)

8. chriscmissle

using the safemode, i disabled the anitvirus. i then uninstalled the last new sims game that i had loaded just prior to the crash. i reloaded the game, rebooted and everything is fine. virus protector enabled and reboot again. everything back to normal.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great, I had a suspicion there was an antivirus program getting in the way somehow :D

(closed by user request)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice