[Resolved] Boot Up Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MRBEE

I posted this in the Web & Email section but was told it should go here.

I use Windows 98. Suddenly, when I boot up the process pauses and the following message appears (while still in DOS):

"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM. INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAP.VXD
Press a key to continue:

After pressing a key, the bootup completes and everything works okay -- except for a possible related problem I have with my Netscape. Since, there may be a link, I'll go over that as well:

When I click on the Netscape icon in Desktop, I get a blank Netscape page but I don't log on. This has been going on for some time, but until now I would log on by typing in any URL and enter.
But now, I get a message that states:

"Netscape is unable to locate the server, www.google.com [or whatever URL I typed in]
Please check the server name and try again".

I tried uninstalling Netscape and then reinstalling it, and that's when my bootup problem started. I can still get on the Internet by clicking on my server's Dialer, and then Netscape works just fine.

MRBEE

Davey,

Yes. I'm running Norton Anti-Virus.

Is that an oops?

No That is the program I am also running and have allot of confidence in it.
The startup error means that the NAV (Norton antivirus) in not working properly for you and leaving you unprotected. You will need to do an uninstall and reinstall of the program. Do you have the install disk or did it come preloaded? Also which version do you have?
Dave

MRBEE

Davey,

I have the CD (I believe my anti-virus came packaged up with SystemWorks). But, it's at my house, and I'm at my office. I'll get back with you this evening.

NAVAP.VXD is a virtual device driver Norton needs to run
- must have gotten lost or corrupt somewhere along the line
- hence the error message

a reinstall of norton (perhaps just the antivirus at d:\nav\setup.exe through control panel / add/remove, and not all or whatever parts of systemworks you've installed) when you get home should fix it up again
- note: you may get asked to register again etc if norton thinks it's a new install

MRBEE

Originally posted by jbcalg
NAVAP.VXD is a virtual device driver Norton needs to run
- must have gotten lost or corrupt somewhere along the line
- hence the error message

a reinstall of norton (perhaps just the antivirus at d:\nav\setup.exe through control panel / add/remove, and not all or whatever parts of systemworks you've installed) when you get home should fix it up again
- note: you may get asked to register again etc if norton thinks it's a new install
Thanks. Your analysis/suggestion certain seems right. I'll bring the disk to the office tomorrow and give it a try as instructed. I have since found I cannot now use Norton Anti-Virus, even when I get on line through my dialer, so it all appears to be that one problem.

MRBEE

Well, thanks to everyone, my boot up problem has been resolved. I reinstalled my Norton Anti Virus (using the formulation suggested by jbcalg so as to reinstall AV only and not all of SystemWorks.

I still have the "logging on" problem, but that's on a different thread.

Again, I thank all of you.

MRBEE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online