1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved]Bouncing emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zorba, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zorba

zorba Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I had bouncing emails which I believe I tracked down to fact I was using a domain forwarder and email forwarder, which added its own server IP address to email headers. Then when about 2 or 3 mths ago every ISP in the land (UK) switched on SPF, my own ISP's SPF blocked out a lot of email that was addressed for me, on the basis that it was spam (my ISP told me this happened if it came from another company that ran SPF, or whose ISP ran SPF, because my ISP's SPF would be able to do a lookup of domain vs. IP address, and lo-and-behold, any email that had been forwarded now looked like spam !).

Very annoying - lost lots of client and candidate emails without knowing...
    I was told the problem was that I was using email forwarding - no surprise I suppose - even my untrained eye could tell that email forwarding is a bit of a hack...

Anyhow, what I did was move my domain hosting in-house with my ISP so its properly hosted and I no longer need any domain forwarding or email forwarding, which I'm told should fix the problem.

BUT - how can I be sure it has ? is there any sort of diagnostic I can run or check I can do ?

..would hate to lose another 2 mths email - would probably put me out of bizness

lotsa love
    C.

2. hewee

hewee

3. zorba

zorba Thread Starter

Thanks hewee, great link which I'll come back to in the future.
    Unfortunately I couldn't find any utilities which will prove my email isn't bouncing.

I am getting mail through, but then again I was only missing a certain percentage of mail before (that which came from servers running SPF themselves), so that doesn't tell me much.

Anyone got any other ideas ?

4. zorba

zorba Thread Starter

I have stopped using a domain forwarder and brought the domain hosting "in-house" with my ISP, and so far have seen/heard of no incidences of emails sent to me having bounced
    Looks like problem fixed - thanks all for your help

5. hewee

hewee

Your welcome :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/234778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice