1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] c:\windows\system\vmm32\enable.vxd

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by robn, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robn

robn Thread Starter

I receive the following message while booting up:

" Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
    Registry or SYSTEM.INI refers to this file but it no longer exists."

The screen displays the path shown above.

What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it (at a minimum stop the message from showing).

I'm using '98 SE. I've checked SYSTEM.INI but can't find any reference to this file. I've used Norton SystemWorks to fix the registry to no avail as well.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Go to control Panel>add remove programs>Windows Setup tab
    Remove Accessibility options. Then reinstall if you like. Enable.vxd is probably either missing or corrupt and this will remove and then replace it for you.

3. robn

robn Thread Starter

Thanks Mosaic1 - that fixed the problem. The really pathetic thing is that I had to call Microsoft earlier this evening for an unrelated problem and although the tech support was knowledgeable about that specific problem his search of their database for the VMM problem turned up nothing.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

robn,
    You're welcome. We hear that a lot about tech support. Not just Microsoft either.

Mo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice