[Resolved] c:\windows\system\vmm32\enable.vxd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robn

I receive the following message while booting up:

" Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
Registry or SYSTEM.INI refers to this file but it no longer exists."

The screen displays the path shown above.

What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it (at a minimum stop the message from showing).

I'm using '98 SE. I've checked SYSTEM.INI but can't find any reference to this file. I've used Norton SystemWorks to fix the registry to no avail as well.

Go to control Panel>add remove programs>Windows Setup tab
Remove Accessibility options. Then reinstall if you like. Enable.vxd is probably either missing or corrupt and this will remove and then replace it for you.

robn

Thanks Mosaic1 - that fixed the problem. The really pathetic thing is that I had to call Microsoft earlier this evening for an unrelated problem and although the tech support was knowledgeable about that specific problem his search of their database for the VMM problem turned up nothing.

robn,
You're welcome. We hear that a lot about tech support. Not just Microsoft either.

Mo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online