1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Cable Modem stops working after a minute or so online

Discussion in 'Networking' started by goose197, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goose197

goose197 Thread Starter

I have a Charter Cable Modem that works fine (sort of). I have recently been plagued with the problem of the internet connection dying in the middle of what I am doing. The connection generally lasts only a few minutes. This I can correct momentarily by releasing and renewing my IP address. Then I get a few more minutes. The Cable Company was here a few days ago and they said the Modem was fine.
    I thought it was an IRQ problem so I switched the nic card. It now only shares a spot with a place holder. Could this still be the problem. I have no empty spots for the IRQ.
    I am about to go crazy. I have the correct setting in the IE. I have loaded a spyware eraser to clean out all the things that may be trying to get to the internet unseen. I do not know what else to do. Please help.
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 10/100M PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 Conexant PCI Modem Enumerator
    10 Master Riptide PCI Audio Device
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 NVIDIA Vanta (HP - English)
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I had a customer with the exact same issue, and Comcast finally 'fessed up and said they had a problem with their equipment. :rolleyes:

3. ntwrkr75

ntwrkr75

I ran across this problem twice and it ended up being the usb connection for the cable. The cable company connected the cable modem to the computer via usb. Once I switched to a cat 5 cable, the problem went away.

4. Wino

Wino

I'm with johnwill and ntwrkr75 - if you are direct connected to the cable modem from your nic, the cable modem may be okay, but cable itself is having trouble and you need to stay on their butt to get it corrected - they are as bad as the telephone company trying to shift blame to the user. Also, CAT5 cable is better than USB and hopefully your modem will accept both - if you are already connected with CAT5 in lieu of USB, then I would blame cable company - but to be on safe side - try another direct thru CAT5 (not a crossover). Also, sometimes unplugging modem from AC power for about a minute and replugging resets it - this sometimes corrects problems. If you are running a firewall, disable it for a while and see if that helps. Slight chance it's your nic, but I would doubt it.

5. goose197

goose197 Thread Starter

I appreciate all the assistance, I tried a new cable. It seems to be working for the moment. I also decieded that this Computer is not for me. I bought a new Gateway, It will be here in a week. If I still have the same problem with the new computer I will have to give the cable company a huge peice of my mind.
    You have all been great. :) :p :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice