[Resolved] Calculate a column of numbers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blueboy75

I have an excel spreadsheet and in 1 column i have a few numbers, (i say a few in fact there are hundreds), now i need to increase all these numbers by 10%

is there anyway i can do this without doing the numbers individually

I would do it by using a formula in another column.

say you have 10 in cell a1, well in b1 I would have =a1*1.1

then I would copy that formula to all the rows in that colum corresponding to the amount of rows you have in your original column. that will give you the increase of 10%.

Next couple the entire colum and the Paste Special, Values in the original colum.

done.

Go to the column next to it - say D
in D1 enter = C1*1.10 and exit the cell

Go to the bottom corner of that cell till you get the + sign
Click and drag down to copy the formulas

If you want these numbers in the original cells simply click the "D" column heading and copy the column - Then click the "C" column heading and PASTE SPECIAL\ VALUES .

(If the hole column isn't involved then just copy and paste a selection. If there is no vacant column next to C to work with, go to a blank column or insert one next to C and then remove it when you're done)

- C

>> is there anyway i can do this without
>> doing the numbers individually

For sure. Put 1.1 in a free cell (another sheet if necessary) and copy it.

Select the range to be increased, then Edit -- Paste Special -- Multiply -- OK.

Rgds,
Andy

Originally posted by XL Guru:
>> is there anyway i can do this without
>> doing the numbers individually

For sure. Put 1.1 in a free cell (another sheet if necessary) and copy it.

Select the range to be increased, then Edit -- Paste Special -- Multiply -- OK.

Rgds,
Andy
cool,, much handier!!;):D(y)

Cheers guys. Hey CH, glad to see you're acquainted with the Fill Handle. Didya know you can doubleclick it to fill down as far as there's data in the neighbouring column?

;) ,
Andy

Originally posted by XL Guru:
Cheers guys. Hey CH, glad to see you're acquainted with the Fill Handle. Didya know you can doubleclick it to fill down as far as there's data in the neighbouring column?

;) ,
Andy
I didn't know it!! Cool!(y)

I think I did!
But it seems that I have the Clear History setting in my brain set to a shorter time period right now and that knowledge may have been deleted!

:D

Actually ... I have double clicked the handle of a cell to copy a formula down THAT column as far as there is data. But never done the 'neighboring cell' thing.

- C

First Name
Anne
"I didn't know it!! Cool!"

Randy!!?? I thought I taught you better!! :)

Originally posted by Dreamboat:
"I didn't know it!! Cool!"

Randy!!?? I thought I taught you better!! :)
doubl-clicking the little plus dealie bob?? Jeez!! Now I hafta know everthing, huh??;):D

:p

First Name
Anne
Get it straight. It's not "the little plus dealie bob", it's "the blob in the bottom, right corner of the cell"

Oh...and when you copy a cell, the thing that goes around it is called a marquee, and NOT marching ants!

>> the thing that goes around it is called a marquee,
>> and NOT marching ants!

Excuse me DB? Word 2K? Format -- Font -- Text Effects -- Animations?

;) ,
Andy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online