1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Can dial up, but can't ping, or view web pages...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by thepcgirl, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thepcgirl

thepcgirl Thread Starter

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago, a friend in the business asked me if I'd come across a particular problem. He had come across 2 computers (both different types running win98SE) that would dial the Internet, but when you tried to browse or download email, nothing would happen except "can't find server." I asked him the usual questions - check for virus, dialups, ad-ware etc, and he said that they were clean. He gave up in the end and formatted both machines.

Well, tonight I came across the same problem myself. I believe that the removal of hijack software has been the cause of the problem, but I can't tell you what was removed, as they downloaded and used a different program than I've seen before and removed everything. I tried to bring up the log from this software, but it rewrites itself each time you run it, and doesn't keep a backup of the removed items!! aarrgghh...:eek:

I tried to ping the internet but it kept coming back with "unknown host". I tried removing the dialup networking and replacing it - no joy. I tried installing a different browser (opera), "can't find server". I could ping the machine itself, but if anything tried to leave the computer for the net, it couldn't.

I had everything turned off except systray and explorer, still nothing. :confused:

Has this question been explored before? If not, can anyone give me some "fix-it" options to try? I don't have the computer here, as it's a customers computer (I do domestic troubleshooting) and they use it for business.

I don't believe that it's IE or OE causing the problem, as they don't use OE (they use incredimail) and opera didn't work .

Please help if you can.

Thanks
    Mandy

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're right the improper removal of some kinds of hijack software can cause the problem. How was it removed? Spybot and Ad-Aware both have backup features.

Also it would help if you post a HijackThis Scanlog following directions here:

http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/

In many, if not most cases, the problem is the result of residual damage to the Winsock2 lsp protocols which contain invalid or misnumbered entries.

Use Lspfix to repair this. It may work even if there is nothing in the "remove" window.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

There are default entries in the left pane which should not be moved. Others might require doing so. The HijackThis Scanlog will typically show non default entries which we can help with if present.

Also, if lspfix fails to repair the problem, see this link for a step by step walk through in manually removing and reinstalling DUN and repairing the Winsock stack:

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/windows_9x_nt/dialers/dun_1.3/5289.psc.html

3. thepcgirl

thepcgirl Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin. I've downloaded the little file and printed out the directions on removing winsock2.dll. I'm dropping in on the computer tomorrow evening after work and will try it out.

I can't post the hijack this log as I didn't have access to the net and didn't have a floppy on me. But if I get the chance I will.

Thanks again and I've got my fingers crossed - I hate formatting machines for no reason.

Mandy

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome and good luck. If you could manage to use a floppy for the lspfix, it might save some hassles. Both it and HijackThis could fit comfortably. The HijackThis scanlog, even if you can't post it, will point out any unsual "lsp" entries in the scan.

5. thepcgirl

thepcgirl Thread Starter

Resolved!! Woo hoo! I ran lspfix, but it didn't show any errors. I then removed all the dialup part of windows, and the entries in the winsock sections in the registry. Rebooted, reinstalled the dialup, rebooted (again!) and dialed up to the internet. All fixed beautifully!

I knew there was a quick fix. :)

Mandy

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Great! That probably wouldn't be a "quick" fix for some, but when you know what you are doing... :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice