1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}can not format help!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by PreludeGuy, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PreludeGuy

PreludeGuy Thread Starter

I have a 98 boot disk, and ive wasted about 5 other floppies creating extra boot disks. I have done a search here and found no answers to my problem. I have tried every web page on the planet for proper boot disks, and I assure you my boot disks are fine!

Problem:
    I want to format, so I put in boot disk, start comp w/o cdrom support, then type in format c: and/or format c:/s. Each time it gives me the ol "bad command or file name" error. I know the command is on there b/c on my other computer I physically can view it in 'my computer' ( in that cab file). I have tried for hours to get this to work, and Im throwing in the towell. Someone PLEASE help!

2. fpmm25

fpmm25

If you can't get your boot disks to work.

Also I thought with window 98 it has msdos which when from start-shut down the computer- from that menu select boot into msdos and then try the command there from the c:\ command prompt.
    There is another option that you could get a third party software that will partition your hard drive. etc. partition magic but there is freeware available but I don't know the link for it.
    I hope this helps.

3. moonifa

moonifa

Hi Prelude! I don't know if I can help you or not but I will try.
    First of all, are you restarting your PC in MS-DOS mode? If not try that first.
    At the command prompt use the FDISK utility first. (C:Fdisk)
    When the menu choices come up use number 1 to create a primary partition. You may get the message that it has already been created.
    Proceed to C: format C:/s
    It may take a few minutes to accomplish this task depending on the speed of your computer.
    Once it has re-formated, restart with your boot disk in the drive. When prompted, start with CD_ROM support.
    At the floppy drive prompt type SYS C: (A: SYS C:)
    This will install necessary system files to your hard drive.
    Put your Windows CD in the drive.
    If your CD drive is normally D: it may temporarily change it's letter.
    See what letter works for you, i.e. D or E.
    At the prompt for your CD drive, type setup.exe (D: setup.exe)
    This should start installing your Windows program.
    Let me know if this doesn't work. Good Luck! Moonifa

4. moonifa

moonifa

I forgot to mention, if you currently have Windows ME it won't be that simple but I am assuming you have Win98? Win98SE? Let us know! If you do have WinME I may be able to give you the link to specialized instructions on how to get rid of ME first. Good Luck! Moonifa

5. PreludeGuy

hmm, kinda odd situation. I HAD windowsXP. The drive is only 4G and xp takes up all of that! So I uninstalled (tried to) XP, but it failed and I could not boot up at all. It said invalid boot.ini file. So I was like,"thats fine, I'll just load win 98. So I booted from 98 bootdisk and tried to install 98. My origianl plan was to install win98 and format then. But I cant install 98, it always freezes. I really need the drive formatted.

6. PreludeGuy

oh, moonmafia. Ive tried FDISK, I have a partition, and formatting command still says bad command or filename

7. jmatt

jmatt

Delpart.exe From NT 3.51, this utility can delete extended NTFS,
    Lilo, and just about any other type of partition .
    DELPART is a DOS based utility that will remove NTFS partitions from hard drives. FDISK is unable to remove some types of NTFS partitions.
    DELPART can wipe clean a hard drive, then you can use FDISK to create partitions normally.
    www.bootdisk.com
    http://www.michalferber.com/downloads.asp
    http://www.2e.org/files.htm

8. PreludeGuy

Im pretty sure that when xp was on there, it was still FAT32.

9. PreludeGuy

SOLVED! THANKS GUYS

10. moonifa

moonifa

I am glad problem is solved! And jmatt, thanks for teaching me something I didn't know about partitions. You said just enough to get me interested in learning more. ;)
    LOL Prelude,...moom mafia was interesting! Cute!:)
    So how did you fix it? Did jmatt's link work?
    Have a great week all! Moonifa

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/111842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice