1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{Resolved} Can not install 2nd NIC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gsbham, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gsbham

gsbham Thread Starter

I have a windows 98 computer and I'm trying to install a 2nd network interface card in the computer. I've now tried 3 different network cards with no success. I went through auto detect and manual instal but every time I get the exclamation point for that device in the device manager. The network card already in the computer works fine and it connects to dsl great. I've run Norton system doctor and that did not help me either. I'm installing this second card for the purpose of sharing out my dsl connection. Please help.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

3. gsbham

gsbham Thread Starter

Thanks for that tip Davey. I'll check that out and see if I can get this thing to work.

Graham

4. gsbham

gsbham Thread Starter

Thanks for that help, I think I'm going to avoid a lot of troubleshooting and just try adding a usb NIC. I had an idea that that might work then I saw it on that web page so I'll give it a try.

Graham

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Graham
    Probably will be the path of least resistance.
    Please let us know how it went.
    Dave

6. Rockn

Rockn

It gives you the ! mark because Windoze doesn't have the drivers by default. As long as they are PCI card it should configure quite easily. If it doesn't and they are ISA cards you are probably going to have to run some utility supplied with the card to set the IRQ and I/O range.

7. gsbham

gsbham Thread Starter

OK guys, I took the least path of resistance and bought a
    D-Link USB ethernet adapter/hub at fry's electronics for 25 bucks, cheap but it worked great and installed in a snap. I established a peer to peer network through the second ethernet adapter on the promary dsl computer and the other computer, set up a proxy server (using proxomatron) on the primary dsl computer (this filters adds too), set up both computer's on static ip's, adjusted the proxy settings for both computers and badabing badaboom, I was sharing out my dsl for only 25 bucks extra in parts! It's a simple hardware setup but I figure the less hardware I throw into the picture the less problems I'll have. Thanks for the help everyone and have a Merry Christmas!!!

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Graham
    Sounds like you got exactly what you wanted! Sometimes the
    simplest is the best.
    Have a Merry Christmas also from all of us at TSG!
    Dave

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62657

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice