1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Can someone help me get rid of an unwanted file???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hed2099, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hed2099

hed2099 Thread Starter

The other day i noticed a huge loss of space on my c drive, so i started looking around to find a couse. What i did find was a file in the windows\temp\~rnsetu0\plins directory that was over 600 mb's in size and contained all kinds of abnormal things such as invaid characters in the file name and a creation date from 1960???? Ive tried to delete it using windows and dos. Both failed. When i tried to delete it using windows it gave me a file system error (1026). It will also not let me rename the file. Can anyone help??? I only have 2 gigs of meory on this machine and if a virus or whatever it is is eating up more then 600 mb's it makes a huge difference.

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

First thing. Have you scanned for viruses? Update your definitions and do that.

TRy this: Deltree the Windows\temp older in DOS . It will be recreated on boot. See if that will do it.
    Restart and press CTRL until you get the boot menu. If using win95 tap F8 instead.

Choose Command Prompt only.

At the C:\> Type this and press enter.

cd windows press enter
    smartdrv press enter
    deltree /y temp press enter
    win press enter
    The last command will start Windows for you.

There are faster command lines. However, deltree is a dangerous command. If you were to type it incorrectly using
    C:\windows\temp by putting a space where it doesn't belong, you could wipe out the Windows Folder. So I recommend you do it this way. Loading Smartdrv speeds up the process comsiderably.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG hed2099

Let's try doing a full DOS cleanup. This will work for Win9x, but different instructions would be needed for WinME.

>> Go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode.

>> At the c:\windows\> prompt enter each line:

smartdrv
    deltree temp
    deltree tempor~1
    deltree history
    exit

For each deltree you will be prompted for a confirmation, if the target directory is correct (eg 'temp'), press 'y' to confirm.

The smartdrv command must be first or the process could take a very long time to complete.

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Just to clarify, you have 2GB of hard drive space, not memory. To find out how much memory you have, right click on My Computer and choose properties. The amount of memory is the number before the letters RAM.

5. hed2099

hed2099 Thread Starter

yea i knew that max, just used the wrong word

6. hed2099

hed2099 Thread Starter

hey thanks rog and mosaic, problem solved!!!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59582

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice