1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Can?t boot WindowsME - help.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BigHaus, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

MS word crashed. Then WindowsME locked up. Rebooted to a blank screen, (not even blue!). Rebooted again, got a option to launch in safe mode, starts to load for about 30 seconds, then machine auto shuts off. Tried 6 times to no avail. Tried to load with option of NORMAL mode, after same 30 seconds, screen goes black.

Help.

FYI, my drive is partitioned to a C & D drive. I’m prepared to wipe the C and reinstall windows. Any instructions on how to copy MS outlook email and other data from C to D in DOS before I wipe?

Also, is there any other solution before the last resort of wiping the C drive?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You may have a hardware problem causing this, such as faulty ram. But for now try running System Restore from a command prompt. You will need a WinME boot disk.

MS instructions are here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q279736&ID=KB;EN-US;Q279736

If you don't have a WinME boot floppy created, you can make the OEM one from the site below. Just download the setup file to the computer you are on then put a floppy in the drive and run the setup to transfer its files.

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

By the way, the windows shell progman.exe used in the article may allow you to copy the files you need if you can start to it.

3. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

thanks very much! will try this.

4. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

The revised solution included installing a new hard drive and installing Win2k OS. While I'm able to see and copy the data from the old hard drive, some issues:

1) where can I find drivers for the CD burner, I believe it was adaptec (sp?) software.

2) the monitor which previous had great resolution and color now is 16 colors and only 640 resolution. How do I make it the older resolution?

Thanks in advance.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Adaptec is Roxio, but you may need to buy the software if you cannot update a previous installation.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecd...l;jsessionid=FASGXSPRDHBU1LAQAMGBVQVMCACAWIV0

To obtain video drivers you need to determine the manufacturer of the Video card or chip. This can be done by running dxdiag and noting the name of the Display device on the display page, or by checking the properties page for the Display adapter in the Device Manager. Drivers are then obtained from the vendor's site.

6. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

Thanks 4 the help. Ran Dxdiag and the manufacurer name is listed as n/a. Tried VGA properties via device mgr and manufacturer is listed as unknown. Tried to reinstall drivers from the former corrupted drive, but I get a compatibility error. (Old OS was WinME, new OS is Win2k).

Is there any other way to obtain the driver manuf. info?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You may need to open up the case and look for an integrated chip with the manufacturer's name on it.

However if you know the motherboard model number that can lead to the information as well.

You might try downloading and running Everest Home Editon and see what information it can provide on display chips and motherboard IDs:

http://www.dmi.no/product_everesthome.php?lang=en

8. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to Everest. Awesome software but for some reason it locks up my machine, before it does, I'm able to obtain the following info:

Motherboard = Asus WMT-LW (3PCI, 1ADP, 4RIMM)

Where & how would I look up the corresponding video card info?

Tks

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yeah I just downloaded it for the first time myself last night. It is a successor to the highly regarded Aida32 tool which was very similar. Found out with this one that my Dell system does have a temperature sensor.

Anyway you should see entries for "Windows Video" and "AGP/PCI" under the Display entry near by. On mine I get clickable links to driver sites.

Is there anything similar for your motherboard entry? I can't find anything for that "model" on their site.

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm#socket478

10. BigHaus

BigHaus Thread Starter

Rog, thanks for all your help problem solved. Figured out it was an NVIDIA product. Obtained update. Win2k is AOK!

Thanks again!

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Good to hear and you are certainly welcome for the efforts. I'll mark this "resolved" but be on the look out for a possible underlying hardware problem, particularly if you still find it locking up -- perhaps overheating or faulty ram.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice