1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] cannot locate object class: java/lang/object

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by slawless, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slawless

slawless Thread Starter

I am trying to load windows xp on a 1999 vintage laptop with mixed success. it is an AMDk6-3+ 500mhz system 196mb. It will run then suddenly freeze. but, thats another issue. I have installed the SP1 updates.

Now when I boot, after the background appears I get the error mentioned as the title of this article. "cannot locate object class: java/lang/object". Java would not work. I tried installing Java VM from another system restore pack. it loaded, but nothing changed. I tried downloading sun microsystems Java. It loaded and Java will now work, but it is slow.

Befor this error began to appear I had installed office xp then uninstalled it.

any direction would be appreciated.

Steve L

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Was the install of XP a "clean" install? Java does not normally run on bootup and really not unless you go to a web site that calls for it? Did the error stop after installing Sun Java, very strange if it did.

Not all XP installs include microsoft VM, so it is sometimes necessary to independently install it. The latest versions can be had here:

http://www.krm.com/techsupport/tech-downloads_mvm.html

Overheating is a problem I think you are going to have to look out for on that system, and that could be a source of a slow-down.

3. slawless

slawless Thread Starter

it was a clean install. I think Java in included on SP1. I will try the web site you mentioned. The problem occured after i uninstalled office xp, (I think, it occured about that time). There are a couple of hardware issues I want to be sure are right. This is a new processor, it used to be a K6-2 at 380mhz. It seemed stable for a week with Windows 98. I mway go back to Windows 98 if the problems of random lockups resolve I will assume it is Windows xp and this machine are not compatable. I have windows XP on 2 other computers I really think it is good.

Thanks
    steve L

4. slawless

slawless Thread Starter

a bit of follow up:

Thanks for the JavaVM link, I installed it. I also found some spyware was trying to start at about that time so I deleted it. Now everthing is well.

Thanks

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

:cool:

Outstanding. You're most welcome for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!