1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Can't reboot to msdos

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rkselby98, Feb 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

Just formatted a hard drive, installed win98 SE and did all updates. Installed all programs wanted, tested machine to make sure it works okay.

Everything works okay except it will not reboot to msdos.

It shuts down correctly, reboots correctly. SFC didn't find any problems, dr watson didn't find any problems. Scan disk didn't find any problems. No viruses, no spyware, no nothing to cause this.

Replace both msdos files in C: directory and still same problem.

Any suggestions?

As always all who try to help I thank you.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Rick, when you say it won't reboot to dos...I'm assuming you are using the start menu, shut down, restart in dos?

If so, what does it do, just reload into windows?

Will it go out to a dos prompt from within Windows?

3. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

4. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

No doesn't shut down completely but doesn't restart either.

Really can't tell where it is shut down or not.

The screen is completely black but if I shut it down and restart it with the start button when it boots up I don't get scan disk so I assume it is shutting down but not restarting in dos.

Yes I am using start shutdown, restart in msdos.

If I go start, programs, msdos it will open the dos window.

So how have you been sweetheart, been a while. Staying out of trouble have you?

5. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

Kilowatt thanks for that suggestion. Read that one already and I don't think you are nuts. I know from experience that any thing is possible from a computer. What is, is not always what it seems.

I put this card in about two years ago and the instructions from Creative Labs were to disable it. That solved the problem at that time. It was disabled when I formatted and before that they said they had no problems.

The reason for the format wasn’t because of a problem. I reformat this machine for these people every year so they have a really clean machine and know it is in great working order because they can’t afford to have it go down.

But I know that no two machines are the same and even changing programs can affect settings so I tried your suggestion but with no change.

6. Deke40

Deke40

Try this:

Using Windows Explorer Find the File "Exit To Dos"
    located in C:\Windows
    (a) highlight the file "Exit To Dos"
    (b) Go to Properties, selected the programs Tab
    (c) Select the advance Tab
    (d) Select Specify a New Dos
    (e) Shut Down and restart...

Thanks Go To Meisch If This Works

7. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

Problem solved thanks to all the great help here.

I followed the instructions and it works. The msdos was the last check I had to do before calling this machine finished for I like to run

<b>Scanreg /fix </b>

for the registry check before I return a machine and now it works.

Exiting out of dos is the only difference but hey this is just as good and maybe better. IF you don't exit out of dos to windows and you do as I usually do a CTRL/ALT/DEL it will just reboot to dos again.

You have to exit dos by typing in win and answer "Y" when it asks if you want to boot to normal window.

That is the only change I see but this is great. Learned something new today.

Thanks Go To Meisch but the biggest thanks goes to you Kilowatt for posting the information. Without your posting the problem wouldn’t be solved.

People ask me all the time how I learn all that I have on my web site. Look here and this is how I learn. The only way to learn is to “ASK”

Thanks to all and to all a great evening.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice