1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] Can't Run MSINFO32!!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GoJoAGoGo, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi:

My O/S is Windows ME. When I enter MSINFO32 in the Run box I always get: This page can't be displayed. A few weeks ago I discovered this and decided to reinstall my Windows ME O/S. After reinstalling I was able to run MSINFO32. A few days later I tried again and was unable to run MSINFO32. Is there anyone who is using Windows ME that is having this problem? And could you suggest what I may have to do to correct this?

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

Can you get to MSINFO the long way round - start\programs etc

3. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi Steamwiz:

If I go through start>programs>system tools>system info, I also get: The page cannot be displayed.

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello!

I am assuming that ME has SFC like Win98se? If so try restoring msinfo32.exe by going to Start > Run...SFC. Select "Extract one file from installation disc." and enter msinfo32.exe. Extract from the cabs on your HDD or from the Windows installation CD. Again I am assuming that ME is similar to 98. On mine, msinfo32 is in: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSINFO\MSINFO32.EXE". Save to that location and see if that works.

5. steamwiz

steamwiz

Like pyritechips I also have win98 - so i don't know the location of this file in ME

Try using "find files and folders" to determine the location of the file

As you are using ME, you will not be able to run SFC from start\run - you will need to access SFC from msconfig

steam

6. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    I went to Start>Run entered SFC and got windows can't find SFC. I then went to Search For files-folders and found it but couldn't open it.

7. steamwiz

steamwiz

!. you will not be able to run SFC from start\run - you will need to access SFC from msconfig - re-read my post above

2. You don't want to open it - you need to replace it - you need to extract the file and replace the corrupt file

Try using "find files and folders" to determine the location of the file - write down the path to the file so that you know where to extract the file to

if you don't understand this - just shout and I'll try to get someone with ME to help

steam

8. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Steamwiz:

SFC is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. I don't see SFC listed in msconfig.

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I have a question about this. Do you mean you get the Page cannot be displayed? Or does System Information open. But in the right pane you see a message that there is no information to display?

I had a similar problem with windows 98SE and fond that I needed to replace a file. I think it was

msvcrt.dll

But am not certain. Please post back with the details.

10. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi GoJoAGoGo

Obviously I have not made my instructions clear enough

The corrupt file you need to replace is "msinfo32"

When I said :-
    Try using "find files and folders" to determine the location of the file - write down the path to the file so that you know where to extract the file to

The file I was refering to was "msinfo32"

SFC is the program you use to replace this file (there is nothing wrong with SFC - you don't need to look for this file)

To use SFC to replace "msinfo32"..........do this

go to start\run and type msconfig

In msconfig you will see an "extract" button - press this and SFC (system file checker) will start - you then need to extract a good copy of msinfo32 from your windows cd or cab files on the hard drive - to the location of msinfo32 on your hard drive.

Before you do any of this - answer Mosaic's question - we may be looking at the wrong corrupt file

steam

11. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi Mosaic1:

When I try to run MSINFO32 The System Information page nevers opens, instead I get a white page that says: The page cannot be displayed. This occurrs when I enter MSINFO32 in the Start>Run or when I go to Start>Programs>System Tools>System Information. Like I stated in my 1st post, when I reinstalled Windows ME, I could run MSINFO32 and the System Information page would open. Then a few days later, when I tried, I keep getting: The page cannot be displayed. :confused:

12. steamwiz

steamwiz

Hi GoJoAGoGo

It is a puzzle why it should appear to become corrupted so quickly

So is it the WHOLE page or just the right hand side with the information that displays the message "The page cannot be displayed"

If you can answer this - then we will wait for Mosaic's reply

steam

13. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Hi Steamwiz:

I'm on a different computer now and unable to try the suggestions that you mentioned in your last post. When I do try them, I'll post a reply concening my results.

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

My Windows98 error is not the same thing as your problem.

I recreated your error on my WinXP PRO. That error is generally attributed to a missing htm file. Renaming a particluar htm file resulted in a page cannot be displayed error.

C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System\sysinfo\msinfo.htm

This file creates the System Information Window. If it doesn't exist, I get the help and support center window with the page cannot be displayed message.

I tried reinstalling PCHEALTH but that didn't replace the file. I registered msinfo.dll, but that didn't recreate the htm file.

I am not sure how to recreate it. I looked in my install files and couldn't find it. Something creates this htm, but I am not sure what.

You might try reinstalling PCHEALTH anyway.

Go to Windows\INF (This is a hidden folder. First go to folder options>view and be sure Show all files is selected)

Find PCHEALTH.inf right click on it and choose install.

You may be asked for your install CD.

In the meantime if that doesn't work, I am going to email one of the Moderators here who runs Win ME and ask him to look for the file and possibly get it to you. Because I did this on XP Pro. and you are using ME, there also may be differences and this information may not apply to your System. I'd like him to have a look.

15. Davey7549

Davey7549

GoJoAGoGo
    Mo is correct the msinfo.htm will have to be created by or extracted from the WinME install CD. It is not appearing in a text search of WinME Cab files. If the .htm is not recreated when you overinstall PCHealth then I will have to send you a copy to replace the lost one.

Steam questioned how this could be after just a short time and that is a good question since it was present after your WinME reinstall. I do not have an answer for you concerning that fact.

Also SFC.exe does not exist in WinME it is replace by SFP (System file protect. SFP is monitoring your system constantly looking for any system files that have been changed and if any are found changed then upon restart it invokes SFC.dll for replacing the changed file with a fresh copy from your cab files.
    The extract function is also handled by the SFC.dll which can be accessed via msconfig.

Let us know if the reinstall of PCHeath corrects the loss if not then send me your Private E-mail addy and I will send you a copy.

Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice