1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED} CD-Rom Button doesn't always work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Edward, Feb 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Edward

Edward Thread Starter

I am running P2 266 with windows 95. When I push the button to open cd drive it will only open it the first time. If I try to do it again, it will not open. When I go to "my computer" the system freezes up and I have to reboot. To try resolve this I closed all applications except Explorer and Systray. No luck. Still won't open. Then I hit Cont-Del-Alt and it comes up Explorer 'not responding'. When I key Cont-Alt-Del again, a message comes up saying the system is busy waiting for a window close command and every thing freezes up again and I have to reboot again and around and around we go. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

When and IDE device (like a CD or HD) starts going bad it can take the whole system with it (lock up), so the first thing I would try is unplugging the CDROM power connector and booting up. Does the computer work ok now? If so, something is wrong with the drive.

Did it used to work or is it new?

3. Edward

Edward Thread Starter

The CD Rom works perfectly now except it does not always open when I press the open button. It opens the first time on reboot and as long as I put a CD in, it works fine. But if I want it to open it the second or third time is when the problem I described start.

4. Edward

Edward Thread Starter

Further to my reply, if I close all applicatins except for Explorer and Systray and I try to open the CD ROM drive by pressing the button the system freezes. If I key Cont-Alt-Del why should Explorer come up as 'not responding'? If I key Cont-Alt Del again, the message comes up 'system busy'. How can it be busy with all applications closed?

5. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

As Larry said, try disconnecting the CD internally. If it is going bad electronically, it can cause bad information to feed back to Explorer and freeze the system(possibly like a short circut). You can also try to go to My Computer>Right Click on the CD-Rom and select Eject to see if it will open that way. If it works from the Eject button, them maybe a physical problelm exists with the CD-Rom and it will need to be replaced.

6. Edward

Edward Thread Starter

Clicking on 'my computer' works okay until I get to the point when the eject button does not work. When the eject button quits working, and I click on 'my computer' the 'my computer' box comes up empty and freezes. Then I key Cont-alt-del and it says 'my computer not responding'. However I shall try unplugging the CD ROM. Thanks.

7. Edward

Edward Thread Starter

Well, I pulled off the power cable off the CDROM, booted up andeverything ran fine except the CD. I concluded it was the CD drive so I bought a new one (Acer 650P) and installed it. System would not recognize the drive as being there.So I proceeded with various diagnosis and fixes and corrupted everything. I then re installed my old drive (Goldstar CRD-8240B) with my recovery disk in it and reformatted my hard drive. I discovered that I had installed the new drive with two pins jumpered wrong. I changed that to the right pins, re installed the new drive and voila! every thing worked correct. I used the drive a couple of times and everything was fine. I left for a couple of hours, came back and the system was locked up. I booted up and the computer will not recognize the cd drive. I put the old drive in and everything is back to normal. I put the new one in and the system does not see it. How come it saw it before and not now?

8. LarryCore

LarryCore

Hmmm... It is possible that the IDE cable you are connecting with is bad. Do you have another one you can try?

How about a different power plug? You have been using the same one each time right?

Have you done a full virus scan lately?

9. Edward

Edward Thread Starter

I just got it fixed a couple of hours ago.Here was the problem. The pins at the back of the drive are all the same. There are 6 pins that ca be jumpered. C to S, S to L and M to A. The old drive was jumpered C to S and thats the way I set my new drive up. However the jumpers should have been M to A. I finally did that and the drive worked right away. Thanks for all the effort guys.

10. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Glad you got it working. The pin selcetion is actually MS=Master,SL=Slave and CS=Cable Select. I dont understand why it quit all of a sudden but if it works now great.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/32404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice