1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Cd-rom Won't Automatically Run Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by dawnmc1, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dawnmc1

dawnmc1 Thread Starter

:( When I put a game or a program in it won't automatically play(but will play cds). And when I go to my computer and click on the E drive which will show the name of the game it automatically goes to a microsoft backup . I tried to change the option on the file menu to open instead of backup but backup is highlighted and won't change.

please help.

Thank you

I have windows 98 and I have a cd rom

2. rhettman5

rhettman5

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Dawn
    Welcome to TSG!
    Below are a couple of items you can try. The second one if you need to perform involves the registry so be careful in there and do only as it is written.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Autorun not working

Step 1

Not all CDs will start automatically when inserted. They must contain a file called AUTORUN.INF. If the CD has autorun.inf and does not automatically run, perform the following steps to ensure the CD-ROM Drive Auto Insert Notification is checked.

Go to START\SETTINGS\CONTROL PANEL
    Double-click on the System icon
    Click the Device Manager tab
    Click the plus + next to CDROM
    Double-click on the CD-ROM drive model
    Click the Settings tab
    If the Auto Insert Notification checkbox is unchecked, check it.
    If it is checked, uncheck it, then close all of the windows. Restart your system
    and see if autorun is working.
    If autorun is not working then set CD Rom device manager back to previous
    using the previous steps and proceed to step 2.

Step 2

If CDs still do not run automatically when inserted, you may have to edit Windows Registry.

CAUTION: The following procedure contains information about editing the Windows registry.
    Be careful because Incorrect use of the registry editor and editing the registry files can cause serious problems that may require a complete reinstall of your operating system so follow the instructions carefully.

To edit Windows Registry, perform the following steps:

Click on Start\Run.
    In the open field, type in REGEDIT and click OK.
    Click on the + next to each of the following to expand them:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Policies
    Locate and single-click the Explorer entry to highlight it. With Explorer highlighted, look on the right side of the screen and note the values that appear.
    Locate the entry NoDriveTypeAutoRun key and make sure it reads
    0000 95 00 00 00
    If it does not, highlight the NoDriveTypeAutoRun key. Once highlighted click edit up top and then modify. A cursor will appear to the left of the value. To the left of the flashing cursor will be four zeroes 0000 - ignore these. Press the [Delete] key once to delete the first
    set of two digits in the value. Press [Delete] again to remove the next two digits and retype the digits as needed until the value reads 95 00 00 00. Click OK, then close the Registry Editor (saving is automatic).
    Once the change is made, reboot the system and see if the problem is solved.

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave

4. rhettman5

rhettman5

Dawn, try Davey's #1 fix first, The link I provided does his #2 fix for you so the margin of error is reduced, either should work...Rhett

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

rhett
    I did not even see your post! Must be blind today.
    Dave

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Received a PM from Dawn.........

Thank you soo much!! Your second suggestion to redo my window registry worked. My husband and I have been trying to fix this problem for weeks. The only solution we could get was to try what you suggested first and it didnot work.

We have two small children so I assume they accidentally changed something. My husband is always on a Mazda chat room and loves to help people fix their cars, so I was hoping there was a chat room for people like you that like to fix computer problems.

I am so glad I found this site.

Thank you again

Have a nice New Year!!

Dawn

Dawn
    Your welcome, and you and your Hubby are welcome here anytime. Also there is a good chance the kids had nothing to do with the switch change. I could of been a random corruption of the regisry or even one of the kids games.
    Have a good New Years
    Dave

7. rhettman5

rhettman5

Way to go Davey, another person hopelessly sucked in to hotn !!...Rhett

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice