{RESOLVED}cd-rw install problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dupkbend

I have a Gateway 650 mhz Pentium system. It originally came with a cd-rom and 3 1/2 floppy. For Xmas I received an internal cd-RW (RadioShack, cat. 25_3049, 20x10x40.) I followed the installation directions that came with the driver. When I boot the system however, Windows ME doesn't even recognize the old cd-rom let alone the new cd-RW. I am running a power cord, a audio connection, I am connecting the IDE cord on the second coupler that is already hooked to the cd-rom. The other end of the IDE cable is in the secondary slot of my mother board and the old cd-rom is coupled as master, the cd-RW is coupled as slave. I don't have any more extensive directions and do not know why the computer is recognizing neither. I could use some help. Either I am missing something or there is a better way of installing this. Thanks.

-Kirk

Did you enter setup and enable the secondary ide channel you connected the new cdrw to, if not do so

Also if that doesn't work, reverse the roles, master to slave, slave to master

Also double check jumpers, only one can be master and one slave

Pin1 on the drive must go to the cable side with the red stripe on both the drives and motherboard

dupkbend

Brian F - Switching he slave and master around from one to the other was exactly what I needed to do. Thanks for your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online