(Resolved) CDrom doesn't work w/WinXp Pro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

J. Franklin

I have two systems with the same problem. On the first system my cdrom is the primary master w/hdd as the slave. My cdrw/dvd combo is the secondary master which, works fine. The second system sports a dvd/cdrom as the primary master w/hdd as a slave. My cdrw on the 2nd system is the secondary master which also works fine. All information from this point on refers two both systems. The devices on the secondary do not work properly. My OS is Windows XP Professional. The bios and windows recognizes all hardware and ID's as they should. Device Manager shows that these devices are working fine. All physical aspects of these drives work as they should. When a disc is inserted in the drives I am unable to access the media contained therin. Regardless of the software used to access the drives. When I try to access the media through Windows Explorer, I get an error message. ( G:\is not accessible. Incorrect funtion. ) I have tried several different configurations, swapped drives with other computers and everything works fine. Except that the first cdrom drive is inaccessible.

Hi J. Franklin,

You might try setting the HDD to Primary Master, The CDR as Secondary Master, and the CDRW/DVD as Secondary Slave.

Works for me.

Spaceman

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't know if it will have any bearing, but having the CD as the primary master is an oddball configuration. FWIW, I'd put my boot drive in the primary master slot.

I'll tell you a similar story, I had my boot drive as the primary slave on my Promise ATA-133 controller, because for some reason it wasn't recognized as the primary master. Every four or five boots, W2K would hang with an inaccessable boot device error. I'd reset and all was well. Other than that, it worked 100%. I finally realized that I'd have to jumper the drive for cable select and use the special yellow cable that the controller came with, and now it's the master. No errors since that time.

J. Franklin

I believe I've solved my problem. I shut down to try another configuration (and remove my IDE hdd from being a lonely secondary slave drive, which actually worked that way) I hooked it all back up and applied power. When the system rebooted, things were different. I discovered that a bootable CDrom had been left in drive I: I have 7 drives on this system so, don't freek over the unusual drive letters. Since bios, dos and windows, picked up both drives , I decided to try and boot off the other drive. My system booted off drive G: as it did with drive I:. Okay when I rebooted into windows I had a message waiting for me stating that a new cdrom had been detected. Maybe booting from both drives somehow forced windows to install additional drivers for drive I:. My guess is that windows xp pro recognized both drives off one set of drivers. It seems xp pro requires two sets of drivers. If this is true, I couldn't say. I've never taken a class on this stuff. I attend classes at Trial and Error University and somehow get by without destroying one single peice of equiptment. Thank you to those who replied to my thread. Just knowing that someone cares to help someone in need, keeps the frustration down to managable levels.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online