1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] checksum error & more.......

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by arty62, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Yesterday machine running aok...started locking up on inet, cleaned disk then had normal shutdown. This AM when startup got checksum error...f1 and loadup continued. Went to Sys properties to check out, found 2 new things:1)Drive A using msdos compatability mode file system 2)Other devices--Pci steering has ? and ! Also noted that SB Emulation 16 shows up under Creative devices,,,never did this.

Where do I start to untangle ???....rt

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What operating system? Did you do any Windows updates recently?

3. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

'morning ACA CANDY.....98se.....no updates....but after f1 this morn machine did try to install drivers for new hardware(PCI something) and printer......skipped thru and created situation....rt

4. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

Only oddity from last nite...did disk cleanup temp files...noticed several file types hadnt seen before (.pdr).....remembered 'cause this morn noted that A drive path for drivers =C:\windows\sys\iosub\hsflop.pdr......came to mind that this might be prob with A drive???....rt

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Be sure to note the exact error messages you receive when things like that happen. For example if it said cmos checksum error, this often indicates a failing cmos battery and resultant corruption of settings. (If it said BIOS ROM checksum error -- opps -- you shouldn't have joked about doing a BIOS flash!) The BIOS attempts to reload the defaults -- which may be why you are suddenly seeing configuration changes. I'd have another look at your IRQ setup to see if anything changed there.

The 'a' drive in compatibility mode means that Windows lost or couldn't load the drivers for the floppy controller. Try removing it through the Device Manager and see if it is redetected and reloaded. Check the DM for 'x' , '!' and '?' markers. Remove and redetect anything in the DM with those markers.

You may need to reload those Via drivers again, as well.

Probably a good idea to replace the cmos battery first and foremost.

Other checksum errors may be ram related, but I doubt that's the case here.

6. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

IRQ 5 PCI Multimedia Audio Device
    IRQ 5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ 9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ 10 Creative SB Live!
    IRQ 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ 11 Kingston EtheRx PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (DS21143)
    IRQ 11 3D Prophet II MX Dual-Display Video
    IRQ 11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IRQ 14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IRQ 15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

Battery new last week..REMOVE changed nothing..reloaded...Removed A drive, reloaded but still in emulation mode....(See previous post about last nite cleaning) didnt mention, but did repair on IE.....rt

got to go to work for while...leave tips please...cu later....rt

PS..Bios flash WAS just joke (Did last yr, was terrorized!!!)

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Here's an MS shooter for the floppy drive problem. Don't know how much help it will be, since you've already done some of it; but I'd follow the drill anyway. Maybe something in autoexec.bat or config.sys?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q131690

(I'm not sure what kind of "pci" problems you are having, but you do have duplicate entries on IRQ9, I don't think that's usually a problem as I see it a lot, but it might be possible to get rid of them by removing both in Safe Mode and letting Windows redetect. You may need to reinstall the Via drivers after that.

You also have your Video card and Ethernet adapter on the same IRQ. I don't think that's the greatest idea; maybe you should try moving the Video card to where the Ethernet adapter used to be and see if you can get them separated.)

You could have some funky motherboard problems causing the whole mess; I don't know what else to tell you. Bad shutdowns can also sometimes cause a corruption of the cmos, but reloading should resolve it. Sometimes the shorting jumpers are a better way to purge things.

In any case the floppy issue really should be independent of the remarks in parenthesis. Since you did some cleaning, you definitely want to double check how well the floppy cable remains seated.

8. ~Candy~

Rog.......since it just happened, and I've had a similar experience, what do you think about a scanreg /restore?

It worked once for me but I don't remember what I'd done to mess it up to begin with....of course that won't help the checksum....maybe the dos compatability mode?

Also, are you sure that is the complete IRQ listing? The floppy controller isn't even appearing.

9. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 PCI Multimedia Audio Device
    5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 Creative SB Live!
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Kingston EtheRx PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (DS21143)
    11 3D Prophet II MX Dual-Display Video
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

10. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

ACA CANDY....here another copy of irq......if cmos corrupted, wouldnt I be getting more frequent error messages? Hasnt happened again thru 12 or more starts-resets....I too think" A "being in compatability mode part of problem....also concerned anbout "unknown device" showing up in DevMgr under OTHER....

11. ~Candy~

Well, not sure where Rog ran off to, but I would try to boot to a dos prompt, and type

scanreg/restore

and press enter

you should be presented with some restore dates......does any of them appear to be before the problem? but not too far back? You haven't installed any new software or anything else since this problem started, correct? And again, this won't deal with the checksum error......only perhaps the msdos compatability....and if only you are certain it appeared relatively recently.

12. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

ACA CANDY....Floppy problem solved (Somehow????? in cmos floppy set to "None"...reset cured compatmode prob...now faced with : ! Creative SB16 Emulation

? Other Devices
    !? Multimedia Audio Device
    These from device Mgr......rt

13. ~Candy~

You don't need sound blaster emulation...that is for dos games only....if you don't play games in dos......leave it alone.....it can only mess other things up trying to get it an IRQ number.

Does the sound work in windows?

14. arty62

arty62 Thread Starter

ACA Candy....I dont play DOS games, so sb16 not needed....Yes, I think I have sound in windows..thunder sounds when desktop appears..think a windows effect?

15. ~Candy~

Then, peace, happiness and await the ground hog for the weather prediction........used to live in PA! Take care!

By the way, as you said with the floppy not appearing in the cmos setup, when you reset the cmos, you probably fixed the checksum error too..........

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice