1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Choppy video

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by krank, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krank

krank Thread Starter

Here is my tale of woe any help would be appreciated.....

I am on WinXP and upgraded from a celery 500 to a K7 1000

I have a Biostar M7vkb Board. 256 Meg ram..

The system runs fine..except when running the video sequences in games The video is extremly choppy and the sound cuts out with it. Video was fine with my old celery 500. I installed the latest 4in1 drivers from VIA and the latest audio codec for the AC97. I have a TNT2 32 meg elsa card and I installed the latest drivers form Nvidia. When I disable sound in the game the video still is choppy. I have reinstaled XP to no avail. Everything looks fine in device manager. Any suggestions?

2. krank

krank Thread Starter

Also I can tell that my Cdrom drive is not running up like it should it just doesn't have that "sound"... However when installing WinXP it got up to speed with out a problem.

3. brianF

brianF

run dxdiag from the run command, are all modes enabled

4. krank

krank Thread Starter

DXdiag show no problems

5. brianF

brianF

does the game run fine, and just the avi's(cut scene's) choppy???

I wonder if dma is enabled on your cdrom, you could try to do the full install of the game, then the video scene's should be read from hard disk rather than cd.

Look around in disk management, should be options there on cdrom pio modes, should say use dma if available

6. krank

krank Thread Starter

Exactly...

and a full install does fix the problem but it is still a problem that should be there.

I can't find Cdrom pio modes or an option to enable DMA anywhere.. Where do I need to go exactly?

7. brianF

brianF

Sorry I don't have xp, it's in device manager, under ide ata/atapi controllers

8. krank

krank Thread Starter

Found it....secondary IDE controller was set to PIO mode only set it to DMA if available and now it works great :)

Thanks!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice