1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Resolved] clean hard drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by steve5566, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve5566

steve5566 Thread Starter

i want to reformatt my hard drive
    i have none of the original software on the computer to reformatt
    but i have all of the software of another computer
    is this posssible ?
    do i need to know anything else about the computer and also how do i formatt the hard drive

thank in advance

steve

2. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

Steve5566
    It doesn't matter what is on the computer now..as long as you have a copy of what ever you want to INSTALL, you are good to go..Below are a couple of great links with info re: clean installs....
    Tom Porterfield--Reinstall
    MR E's Clean install

One final word..... As a rule.....it is NOT legeal to have the OS on more than one machine at a time without a different license arangement/purchase

3. steve5566

steve5566 Thread Starter

thanks jack i know about the legalities but this other computer is for a 3 year to play games on
    i will try the links you listed i was just worried about drivers and other things since i don't know anything about the other system

4. Dan Mc

Dan Mc

Yeah...you'll NEED the drivers!! Try doing a search for a program called "drvexp17"...it's a zip download. It will capture all of the machines driver files...could be a real lifesaver!

5. steve5566

steve5566 Thread Starter

still having trouble the format c: command at the a:>prompt
    says bad command or file name
    the windows 98 boot disk doesn't have format.com nor does the startup disk i made
    does this format.com have to be on the ? if so where do i get it
    my system says now the operating system is missing but i don't have enough disk space to load windows without formatting my c drive

thanks for any help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice