1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{RESOLVED}Complete meltdown

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MrKowz, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Hi, this is my first post, and I want to say Hi to everyone. Now, my problems.....

It all started out when i tried to install my new CD-RW into the comp. I installed it, then the
    computer would not boot up. i could not even get to the bios. All I got was a black screen
    and a long beep. I fixed that by removing all but one of the RAM chips, then put them back
    in. Earlier today. I tried to install the CD-RW again. I got it in, running, installed the
    software, and then restart. Now, the computer either freezes when it is opening everything
    in the desktop, or it will give me a blue screen of death (which is VERY rare that it even makes
    it this far). I have tried to remove the CD-RW and put all the IDE cables back to their original
    positions... still no go. Tried the RAM thing. No go again. It is really making me mad, because
    I also did the selective startup thing in the msconfig. Followed all directions on the microsoft website,
    and none of it worked. Just wondering if it was something that I could do with some help, or if it has to go in shop.
    I am forced to access this site on a Macintosh that has nothing but school programs on it. :mad:
    I really need some help, cause I dont want to go out and spend ANOTHER 50-100 dollars to fix
    it.

Here are the comp specs that I know of:

Processor - Intel pentium II
    Ram - 196 megs
    Master HD - Western Digital 3.0 GB
    Secondary master HD - Maxtor 15.0 GB
    CD-Rom - Unknown brand 50x
    3 1/2 floppy - Unknown
    Video Card - VooDoo 3dfx 2000
    Sound Card - I think Sound Blaster 64 AWE
    OS - Windows 98 SE

The computer I got in '97 and have replaced/added every part in it except for the Master HD, Sound Card,
    Motherboard, Processor chip, and the power Supply. I hope this is enough info for you.

Thanks,
    MrKowz

2. brianF

brianF

If you have your machine back to it's original configuration you might want to try restoring a registry previous to the problem.
    Boot to the command prompt and type scanreg /restore. choose a registry from prior to the problem to restore. Hopefully it will help

3. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

it didnt help. It did go to the Blue Screen one time though. Here is what it said.

An exception 0D has occured at 0028:BFF7142E in VxD ---. This was
    called from 0028:C1837798 in VxD scsi1hlp(03) + 00000508. It may
    be possible to continue normally.

*Press any key to attempt to continue
    *Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart your computer. You will
    lose any unsaved information in all applications.

4. brianF

brianF

Try this article once, it's not an exact match but close
    HERE

5. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Thanx, I followed those directions... but the comp wont get past that hangup at the desktop. if it would get past that, then I would be able to see if that worked. It will usually freeze when it is loading up the startup files. I will try to use the MSConfig to keep the startup files from loading to see if that does any difference. If you have any more suggestions, PLEASE let me know. Also, if there is any more info you need about the comp, I can try to get it.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

From your description, it sounds like you have a bad ram chip. Stick with the one that worked, then selective swap in the others to see which one is causing problems.

7. brianF

brianF

hmmm I missed that, gotta agree with RR

8. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Well guys, I hate to say this, but that isnt it. i just tried each ram chip by itself, and none worked. This is really starting to tick me off, because I have been trying to get my comp working again for a week. (had to go thanksgiving vacation). If you know of anything else, again, please let me know. Thanks again.
    -Kowz

9. brianF

brianF

Just a stupid idea, try booting the machine and hold the shift key down the whole time it boots. It should bypass any startup files when held down Doubt it will work when it won't boot in safe mode though.

10. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

It DOES boot in safe mode. Sorry if I didn't mention that earlier. I am going to go try that out now. Also, I dont know if I mentioned this either, but it will usually hang when the icons on the desktop are all the windows icons, before it transfers them to their assigned ones. The computer will stop thinking, but I can move the mouse around, but no clicking. I will let you know how this goes here in about 5 min, cause that is about how long it will take me. =)

11. brianF

brianF

If it boots in safe mode, go to start/run/type msconfig and press enter. go to the start up tab, uncheck any entry that has to do with the burning software you installed.
    If that doesn't work on on the general tab uncheck autoexec and config sys.

Also go to start/settings/control panel/add remove programs, uninstall any software you installed for the burner

12. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Well, my computer, yet again, has been able to find a way to not let me into it reguraly. now, it has a new error message :
    A fatal OD has occurred at 0028:000100CF. This application will be terminated. Blah blah blah....! I think that I have to get off tor the night. I will try to get on with my ****** comp (the one I am trying to fix) in safe mode on the net. Will likely be VERY VERY slow, but it just might work. Thanks for all the help up to here anyway.
    -Kowz

13. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I am back for today, and will bee constantly monitoring my post. please reply if you have any suggestions. I will be continuing to 'experiment' on my comp to see if I can get it to work. Just to sum up my main problem right now, here is is :

When I start up Windows 98 SE, the computer will stop loading before everything is booted up. I have tried everything in the MSConfig file suggested so far, even the stuff on Microsoft.com. I dot think it is something in the startup, but I could be wrong. Everything from the CD Burner has been uninstalled. So, again, if you have suggestions, PLEASE let me kow. I will be on the microsoft website in the mean time searching for an answer.

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Let's try to do some "clean boot" troubleshooting and gradually add groups of files until we run into a problem. Since these issues are occuring as the desktop loads, we need to treat it as a "startup" problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q188/8/67.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q192/9/26.ASP

The approach I would take here is to run msconfig in safe mode and remove the checks for all the startup groups on the General Page -- autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini, system.ini and the startup group.

Shut down and restart. If Windows boots to the desktop (you may have only safe mode type resolution with system.ini bypassed), begin re-enabling files.

I would go in this order: system.ini, win.ini, startup group, autoexec.bat, config.sys.

15. MrKowz

MrKowz Thread Starter

Nope, nothing. it loads up all the stuff ON the desktop, but it does not show all the icons, just a bunch of windows icons and SOME of the others. Then, the computer just stops thinking. I did a clean boot, and nothing... As I said, it will just stop thinking before it loads all the icons on the desktop, and I cant click anything, but can move the mouse. :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice